New Shoes for Rock Fishing

tilt

Yes they did need to be replaced , but I wore them down rather than rusting. I gave up rock fishing 30 odd years ago, Never had the need to use anything else but the kay dee's. Great for running up and down after tuna. But those days seem to be gone. No one talks about high speed spinning for bluefin or yellowfin anymore.   Howard.

Guest Guest123456789

Just picked these up from a large sports store in the clearance bin. $160 RRP reduced to $30. The studs are metal screw in studs. The tongue and sides are neoprene. They're a bit small, without socks they a little tight. I'm US size 11 and these are US size 8. Hopefully I'll wear them in otherwise I might need to Tom hanks castaway them and cut a hole in the front to expose my toes.

image.jpeg

On 26/12/2016 at 8:49 AM, flatheadluke said:

I broke those in two weeks - the rubber hole that the chain attaches to can be broken with fitting to your shoe so be careful there. Best of luck.

Mate, 

Get some high quality plastic electrical cable tide and adjust the length where the broken bit is and tide them together.

Mine was broken and the cable fixed it. Went through a season without any problem. Or you can wait when they 30% off and buy the at (A) store.

I use the spiked rockhopper boots (I think Mirage also) on most rocks, they protect your ankles a bit from grazing if you slip in holes. They would not be as good for swimming as the shoes but definitely stay on and are comfortable. Those rock gripper boots look good. The spikes do not last too long, maybe a season. 

I wear volleys with no spikes or cleats on the north coast breakwalls. They grip best. Anything with metal spikes or cleats on the breakwalls will slip because the rocks are too hard. Similar story with the basalt ledges. 

If you can find Kaydees they are still a great option. AND there is absolutely nothing wrong with stainless self tappers screwed into half a dozen of the knobs on the bottom of the kaydees. The steel wears, but that is a positive, they give you just enough grip without being dangerous. PLates are only any good if they are low profile ones, preferably home made, most of the commercially available ones are too tall and bloody dangerous and a trip hazard. 

I've been wearing the neoprene boots for the last 12 months, not sure of the brand but they weren't cheap. I haven't had any problem with them so far, they are safe, comfortable and the zips are still in good nick. 

Guest Guest123456789

Guys can you stop recommending kaydee sandals? They stopped making/selling  them decades ago. It's about as helpful as recommending a model T ford.

1 hour ago, flatheadluke said:

Guys can you stop recommending kaydee sandals? They stopped making/selling  them decades ago. It's about as helpful as recommending a model T ford.

They may have stopped making them but you still see them in tackle stores and until about 2 years ago you were able to buy them online. You probably make a reasonable point though  :)

Matt

I agree with the wearing studs 100%. However you could buy the longer spikes and sharpen them as they wear. The spikes and fittings are both stainless. I also imagine it may get uncomfortable after a while having spikes on the ball of the foot but not the heel, because your feet would be angled upwards from the ankle

Those shoes look unreal Flatheadluke,I will try to hunt for those next time but for now I just made these up should last me a few years,my last set lasted me several years but in the end the shoe rotted from the saltwater but several years of use was good.

Kmart for the shoes $17 and the plates etc $24,total = $41

Unfortunately I had to buy a new drill and drill bits cause I could not find my old one,never mind next time I will go with the steel stud Footy Boots.

20170109_081950.jpg

20170109_082011.jpg

20170109_082044.jpg

20170109_082442.jpg

Guest Guest123456789
16 minutes ago, DMG said:

Those shoes look unreal Flatheadluke,I will try to hunt for those next time but for now I just made these up should last me a few years,my last set lasted me several years but in the end the shoe rotted from the saltwater but several years of use was good.

Kmart for the shoes $17 and the plates etc $24,total = $41

Unfortunately I had to buy a new drill and drill bits cause I could not find my old one,never mind next time I will go with the steel stud Footy Boots.

20170109_081950.jpg

20170109_082011.jpg

20170109_082044.jpg

20170109_082442.jpg

Very nice they look comfortable and grippy. Let us know how they go?

i tried this too and my screws came undone or pulled through the rubber sole. Might have been the shoe selection, if I did it again I would look for a harder plastic sole shoe instead of soft rubber. I would also look at nylon threaded nuts as apparently these are less likely to come loose.

when you put the nuts on I normally grind the thread a bit with a grinder to stop the nuts coming off,as for the bolts going through the sole you have to use washers.I didn't use the washers here inside the shoe so hopefully they won't pull through but these are great I have only ever used this type of steel cleat.I normally use runners but this time went for these,the sole is soft rubber maybe not the best choice but we will see how it goes.

Edited by DMG

My old shoes and cleats lasted many years,as you can see the plates were not the issue although very worn down the plates still worked fine,the issue was the sole separated from the shoe but these lasted years and years.

20170109_100251.jpg

20170109_100305.jpg

20170109_100317.jpg

20170109_100331.jpg

20170109_100337.jpg

• 2 months later...
Guest Guest123456789

Guys though is report how my footy fishing boots have gone. Better than expected, these things are awesome!! As the studs wear the metal gets super grippy. And they take a lot to wear down!!

i had to Tom hanks castaway the fronts because my feet are too big for the shoe. Makes it better anyway as the water can drain out. I also had to add the laces back as when underwater I pulled my foot out once and almost lost the boot. Thankfully they float!

i wear neoprene booties with these. Here are pics showing them now.

i reckon I could get 5+ years out of these things, they are that well made. We shall see.

IMG_1593.JPG

IMG_1594.JPG

Had a shoe failure today,got lazy didn't grind the thread to stop the nuts from coming loose..

lost one nut and almost lost all nuts within 30 min,very important to grind the end of the thread or use lock nuts until the rust takes hold.