New Shoes for Rock Fishing

tilt

Okay so, went A over yesterday morning due to being slack and wearing some shoes well past their used by date.. Luckily, all I got was a brused ego. Anyone got any ideas/info on good rock fishing shoes? Volleys just aren't that good anymore. I'm not really keen on cleats or wetsuit type boots.

Any and all advice welcome..

Guest Guest123456789

NEOPRENE ROCK BOOTS

pros

comfortable

good grip

cons

expensive

short lifespan (metal spikes lucky to last one season)

CLEATS

pros

good grip

long life span

cons

higher off ground so can trip more easily (like wearing high heels for women)

screws can come loose

FOOTY BOOTS

pros

comfortable

good grip

stable

long life span (metal studs replaceable)

cons

None in my opinion

i use footy boots they're the best for me but others will have different preferences.

Guest Guest123456789

Definitely have a look in sports stores as well as tackle shops. You know the surfaces at your local ledges. Another rock hopper I know swears by studded golf shoes.

I have used crampons that go over my shoes. Handy when there is a bit of a walk required to get to the fishing location as they can slip on and off easily. And aren't as heavy as carrying around a pair of wet neoprene boots plus the fish to take home.... You can get them in Hiking stores

Hi,

I bought some neoprene boots with metal spikes and not good...too  heavy and the zippers break.

Got some neoprene shoes with a velcro strap fastener...they are the bomb...same metal spike non slip on the sole. Not sore how long the spikes will last but on slimy rock they work a treat and if I have to buy a pair each year to be safe it's not a problem.

Not sure if still available.

KB

Guest Guest123456789
2 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

love kaydees for our central coast ledges...I always use black sole grassport shoes or touch footie shoes/small soft studs/for port stephens and further north for lbg...rick

Hi Rick,

Can you still buy Kaydee sandals? I can't find a supplier anywhere.

Guest Guest123456789
9 hours ago, tilt said:

Studs and spikes seem to be the go. tbh, I've never used them.. I've always had good grippy runners which work anywhere except slimy areas. I might go some new runners with slip on cletes.. 

I broke those in two weeks - the rubber hole that the chain attaches to can be broken with fitting to your shoe so be careful there. Best of luck.

Hi,

I found the shoes: Mirage Rock Gripper Fishing Shoes. They cost about $50 and are by a very long shot the best footwear I've used since I started fishing off the rocks in 1970.

They are light, comfortable and provide a good grip on slimy rock. Easy to take on or off and the velcro strap is a much better option than the zippered boot.

I have had a couple of pairs of the boots and they are too heavy and the zippers are not reliable.

An internet search using the name of the product will put you in touch with the outlet.

I hope I haven't breached site rules re sponsors but the safety issue is really important. Just the same, if I have I apologise.

KB

rock-gripper-shoe-banner.jpg

Edited by Koalaboi

Hi Guys;

I have used Kaydees for many years.

Great for the low ledges with good plates.

NOT self tappers.

If you can still get them buy stainless steel plate.

Bore holes in the shoes for the bolts.

Stainless, bit more expensive but great.

Tighten down the bolts and either go to Supercheap or such and buy some Loctite.

If you have a friendly mechanic go and smile at him.

You only need one drop per bolt and they will never move.

I also have a pair to use walking around sand flats spinning.

Nice and light, cool and stops you treading on broken bottles ,oyster  shells or those small stingreays you find in Summer.

Kaydees are ? were made in New Zealand so a bit of a look on Google may help.

Cheers.

Oldfella.

Hi Savit;

Get onto Google and bring up the Ryder & Bell site give them an email,

They will have what you want for sure.

They have been making plates for years.

Would not be surprised if they are a lot cheaper than the " Designer" brands.

Cheers.

Oldfella.

Thanks Oldfella. I presume - you meant Aussie Rider and Bell. They have 3 types of plates for rock fishing. I would prefer something removable such as chains as I use public transportation  regularly.

How are plates vs chains vs neoprene spike boots on dry and wet weedy rocks?

Thanks.

Hi,

I always used to use plate style cleats, two per shoe: one under the ball of the foot and the other under the heel. I ended up having problems:

1. I'd occasionally swipe my ankles with the cleats cutting them

2. The bolts would loosen and undo until rusted solid. We tried araldite and locktite nuts but still, they came undone.

3. Walking on uneven rock in cleats saw me fall and roll my ankles. They are great on flat smooth surfaces but clambering over boulders or honeycombed rock can be really dangerous.

4. If the nuts loosened a bit, I'd find myself wearing the pressure of the top of the bolts used to secure the cleat fully into my feet rather than the whole plate..painful.

Now and again the bolts would either undo and fall out or, break after rusting. Used to carry some coathanger wire in the pack for reattaching any errant cleats.

All the different styles of footwear mentioned could be just the ticket: it depends on what kind of rock surfaces you're walking on.

Good luck.

KB

Hi Bluefin;

Main reason is that unless you spend an arm and a leg on stainless self tappers the metal in the normal ones is not the best

When you work it out there is quite a strain on what ever you have on your feet in those conditions .Also they are not designed to do anything like using them like that.

Over time metal fatigue and rust set in and they break off just under the head..

For my money a good pair of plates with a couple of hefty bolts holding them on is a heap better.

Trust this explains things.

Cheers.

Oldfella.