Is the normal spray from engine

Guest stephanb79

Guest stephanb79

Hi guys 

i just got the my new boat and I have taken it out twice and I have noticed the spray on the back of the engine doesn't look right and doesn't matter what speed or what trim it still does it any idea what it is or is it normal?? 

IMG_4076.PNG

Photo of the transom would help if possible.

Any transducer/s,Bait tank pickups,ladders etc back there?

hopefully the engine height on the transom is correct also.

Edited by Fab1

Guest stephanb79
5 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

Photo of the transom would help if possible.

Any transducer/s,Bait tank pickups,ladders etc back there?

hopefully the engine height on the transom is correct also.

Here is some more photos 

IMG_4077.JPG

lower your engine to running height and lay a level or straight edge from under the bottom of hull to your engine..me thinks your cav plate is slighty lower or dead level with your hull if lower you can raise...the water leaves the hull and rises slightly as it flows back towards your motor..engines on pods have a large prob with this as they need to raise their motor higher than normal..check your height then let us know

Guest stephanb79

Ok 

16 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

lower your engine to running height and lay a level or straight edge from under the bottom of hull to your engine..me thinks your cav plate is slighty lower or dead level with your hull if lower you can raise...the water leaves the hull and rises slightly as it flows back towards your motor..engines on pods have a large prob with this as they need to raise their motor higher than normal..check your height then let us know

Ok when u say running height that is different all the time should I put it down 3/4 on the trim ??

I don't want to really move the engine my self but the dealer is in Melbourne and I'm in Sydney ..

I think rick is saying that you should put your engine down as though you were out in the water then use a straight edge from the bottom of the hull to see where the cavitation plate is on the engine. From there, he will be able to advise you on the next course of action. He is suggesting that if they are at the same level then the engine should be raised. That's the bit where you undo the bolts and lift it up.

Of course, I could have misread all of this ;-)

Lower your motor to full down.

And run a string line from halfway along the bottom of the hull.

Tape it on with gaffa tape.

Then lower or raise the string line till it touches the full lenth of the hull and see where it is in conjunction to the motor cav plate.

A lot easier than trying to use a straight edge on a pod type motor fit.

could be a bit difficult if you have rollers like 95 percent of boats have..you only need two inches of hull with st/edge or level....Stephan lower or raise motor till cav plate on motor sits parallel with said st/edge..measure height above or below if badly wrong...then a resolution to your problem can be sorted..rick

Guest stephanb79
3 hours ago, Raymondo said:

Other than some engine height tuning, how's the Mclay going Stephan?

Hey mate so far I'm really impressed with this mclay the finish is great and handling has been good but I think I need to raise the engine one hole up and I think it will go a lot better it just doesn't feel right 

I don't think I've ever bought a boat that hasn't been improved by raising the engine and fiddling with different props. Most manufacturers set them up a little lower I believe to account for new boat owners who don't understand trim that well. For tight turns a higher mounted engine needs to be trimmed in in order not to cause air to mix with the prop loosing grip (cavitate) but with a lower mounted engine you can normally hard turn without having to think much  about the engine, this is why they mount them low.

If the engine is to low this will cause more drag as well as excessive spray from the antiventalation plate. Check out this link which explains engine heights, you will note there's not really a right or wrong, it's more about performance. http://www.boats.com/how-to/the-outboard-expert-boost-speed-with-outboard-engine-height-adjustments/

If you think it may be low raising them even on your own can be quite easy but we can look at that next if you think it needs raising.

By the way on my last Haines signature I raised my engine so the plate was 45mm above the bottom of my hull and my current boat is about 30mm above.

jon

Edited by JonD

• 2 weeks later...
Guest stephanb79

Hi jond 

this is a good read thanks for the info but I think is matters aswell how far back the engine sits aswell ?? 

Well I took it to a marine shop in Forster and they took the engine up 2 holes and wow what a difference it has made I can get on the plan easier and doesn't feel like it's dragging now much better !! 

Thanks for all the info you guys gave me on this aswell really appreciate it 

Edited by mrsswordfisherman
pm for name of marine business

Guest stephanb79

Raymondo .. mate i dont think i can fault anything yet so far im very happy with it !!! 

the nyalic wow what can i say after a big day out on the water i just come home and i just hit it with the hose and its done every thing just comes off very easy , cant even believe after just with the hose there is no salt build up .. the only thing with the nyalic it doesn't like fuel , solvents and sunscreen .. 

the Bimini is great and yeah man it has heaps of room under the Bimini and its up high plenty of room ..