Another stern light question

mii11x

Hi all,

Would like to know if there is a maximum height restriction for a stern light on a boat?  My boat is a 4.5m brooker side console -open boat.  

I see in the boating handbook it says "the masthead or all round white light shall be carried atleast one metre above the sidelights."  At the moment my stern/all round white light would be 600mm above, so technically not legal, but have never had trouble with them when inspected at night. I also notice a lot of other boats with the same stern light as me, which seems to be the norm.  

I dont want to lower it as it wont be seen from the front by oncoming vessels, which is also a no no, though i do see plenty of boats with these as well.

At night, the thing is just annoying and when your seated facing it its right at eye level.  I have read the boat rules and i understand them, but cant find anything that says i cant say have a stern light which is say, for example, 2m above water level, which perhaps becomes 1.4m above my nav lights.

Thinking of adding an extra length of tubing and wiring to mine to make it higher, so its out of eye level, that is, if its allowed.

Cheers

Mick

5 hours ago, mii11x said:

Hi all,

Would like to know if there is a maximum height restriction for a stern light on a boat?  My boat is a 4.5m brooker side console -open boat.  

I see in the boating handbook it says "the masthead or all round white light shall be carried atleast one metre above the sidelights."  At the moment my stern/all round white light would be 600mm above, so technically not legal, but have never had trouble with them when inspected at night. I also notice a lot of other boats with the same stern light as me, which seems to be the norm.  

I dont want to lower it as it wont be seen from the front by oncoming vessels, which is also a no no, though i do see plenty of boats with these as well.

At night, the thing is just annoying and when your seated facing it its right at eye level.  I have read the boat rules and i understand them, but cant find anything that says i cant say have a stern light which is say, for example, 2m above water level, which perhaps becomes 1.4m above my nav lights.

Thinking of adding an extra length of tubing and wiring to mine to make it higher, so its out of eye level, that is, if its allowed.

Cheers

Mick

Hi Mick,I think you answered your own question by using the word "ateast"1 metre above the side lights.My stern light is like yours and really blinds you at night also.

I'm going to do what you are saying by mounting it on either a longer pole and extending the wiring keeping it at the rear port of my boat or windscreen mounting it.

If you think about it the rules state that they must be seen "all round" and I can tell you that mine is hidden by about 40mm at least by the windscreen etc and at least 1m by me when I'm standing in the boat.

Hope this helps and I feel your pain in regards to getting blinded.

Fabian.

Im also thinking of moving it to the windscreen, or adding another base somehow to the top of my windscreen. 

Was thinking if i make it higher at the rear, well it would be right in line with the tops of my rods, which would also be a pain in the arse since its what I am generally watching at night time.

Decisions, decisions