Out and about in Port Stephens

Scratchie

G'day raiders, 

Just a couple of quick reports from the lovely P.S! 

Managed to take the little kids out to test their new Xmas presents and both had a great time! Plenty of whiting about the bay all falling to prawns or nippers!

scratchie1.JPG

scratchie2.JPG

Edited by nbdshroom

also managed to get up to Broughton island with my mate Dom "the snapper whisperer" for an eventful day!

trolled livies around the new pen for no takers but did see a 4m plus great white! Hmmmm no wonder! 

Headed up and Dom had a play with a spritely hammerhead. Then drifted the outer reefs where Dom came to his own and nailed 3 nice snapper over 65cm and the biggest going 78cm. I caught more Sargent baker than were necessary and I was convinced Dom was putting repellent on my lure!!! :( 

The only drag I had going all day was the effort from a small bronzey and my cigarette! At least I got to net a few! 

Also had to be towed in by marine rescue on the way home as Dom miscalculated the fuel required! :) 

great day out with a lot laughs along the way, you can't ask for more! 

IMG_0086.JPGCheers scratchie!!!

scratchie4.JPG

scratchie3.JPG

Edited by nbdshroom

Guest hawkesbass

Nice report geoff.

The smiles on the young ones faces says it all.

Some magic snapper there although getting towed in is not good.

7 hours ago, hawkesbass said:

Nice report geoff.

The smiles on the young ones faces says it all.

Some magic snapper there although getting towed in is not good.

Kids had a ball and a swim afterwards. I didn't even take a rod myself. 

7 hours ago, nbdshroom said:

Top report Jeff! Looking a bit glum there though. :P Good to see the kids having some fun.

Not wrong Pete! That was my only target species all day! I did see a few large models come onboard though! 

Great report, Jeff!  Good to see the kids getting amongst them!

Big news for me... I'm finally moving to Port Stephens! :1clap: Our house here in Sydney went on the market last week and we've had 2 offers and both are coming back for a 2nd look shortly.  When we get settled, maybe we can go for a fish!  We will live in our little place at Shoal Bay until we find another place a bit bigger... might even end up out your way (my wife saw your boat in the yard when we went for a scenic drive the other week).

It's all happening (perhaps a little too fast)!!!:o:thumbup:

3 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Never too fast to move to paradise Baz! A move you'll never regret! We'll catch up sometime for sure mate! 

Cheers scratchie!!!

Well... I haven't lined up a job yet! Retirement is still a way off! ?

Great report Jeff, glad I didn't see that white pointer, I'd sh@t myself even if I was in a big boat! . Was that Taylors beach where the kids got the whiting? Some good size whiting 

Baz, Second Jeff's thoughts mate, once you're up and settled you'll fall in love with the place. My family and I only moved up 2 years ago, it hasn't all been roses, I left a wonderful job I had for 17 years and the kids all started new schools etc. Scratchie is your man for fishing up here, but If I can answer any questions for you of my experiences on just recently moving up and resettling - or how we have adapted etc just send me a PM and I'd be more then happy to help or answer where I can mate. Hope it all goes well for you and your family, and you have no regrets - which I'm sure you won't.

1 hour ago, garfield28 said:

Baz, Second Jeff's thoughts mate, once you're up and settled you'll fall in love with the place. My family and I only moved up 2 years ago, it hasn't all been roses, I left a wonderful job I had for 17 years and the kids all started new schools etc. Scratchie is your man for fishing up here, but If I can answer any questions for you of my experiences on just recently moving up and resettling - or how we have adapted etc just send me a PM and I'd be more then happy to help or answer where I can mate. Hope it all goes well for you and your family, and you have no regrets - which I'm sure you won't.

Thanks mate! Much appreciated!  We fell in love with the place many years ago and know our way around pretty well!  Only just before Christmas, my wife's boss gave her the opportunity to work out of the Newcastle office (300m from the ferry and a shorter commute than from our home to to Sydney CBD) full time, probably starting next month, so it is all happening so quickly!  We sign the contracts on our sale tomorrow (sold in a week) and then we start looking for another place in Port big enough for the 7 of us (me, wife, 24 y.o. son, his Nan and 3 dogs!).  I'm hoping to be closer to the Soldiers Point ramp and my son likes swimming the dogs at Bagnalls Beach but can't rule out Anna Bay/One Mile/Boat Harbour areas as we'd like to keep the mortgage right down!  I'm hoping for a transfer with my existing employer but I think I'll only get casual, at least at first, so the missus will have to be the main breadwinner (which she has been for the past 5 years anyway!).  It's all quite exciting but scary at the same time! Not to mention the task of getting rid of 16 years of clutter!!!  I know we're making the right move and hopefully I can retire early!  Either way, I plan to have my ashes scattered on Fingal spit one day. :lol:

Sorry, admin - didn't mean to hijack Scratchie's fishing report thread!

Edited by Berleyguts

35 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Hi Scratchie

I'll be in Fingal for a week from this w/e. Likely bringing the 4m tinny as well.

Any info on conditions, areas would be valuable.

regards

Alastair

Conditions this time of year are always hit and miss. The nor'easter in the arvo is certainly in affect! The water temp has been changing on a daily basis although  it has cleared considerably since last week. Plenty of whiting and flatly about, as well as snapper in the outer reefs! 

Cheers scratchie!!!