New boatie

Kaneo

Hey Fishraiders!

Im taking my boat out for the second time ever this saturday morning if the weather conditions are good. I have little to zero boat experience and was wondering if minamurra river would be an alright spot to learn in as it seems to be safe with locals kayaking and paddle boarding there. I've been kayaking there twice but never been in a boat. Im taking a friend who has owned a small tinny before like the boat we will be taking on the weekend, hopefully he can do what he says he knows haha. So all in all hopefully its a good day and a good spot for a beginner. Also anyone know some hot spots there i could catch a few lizards or bream ;)

Cheers Kaneo

This time of year would have to be the worst time for a begginer to learn the ropes with all the traffic and dills out on the waterways during daylight hours.

As you probably are aware the minamurra river has it's hazards being very narrow and shallow in places.

Like mii11x I have run aground there years ago and had to pull my boat into deeper water with my mrs,mother in-law and my small boy at the time in the boat past land based fisherman after politely asking them to wind there lines in.

Not a fun experience and I won't be forgetting that for a long time.

We caught some nice bream,flathead and flounder around the rocky ledges and in the chanels though.

Being from Campbelltown perhaps the chipping norton lakes would be an option also.

Like I said,this time of year is the worst time with traffic and twits no matter where you go.

When you go think things through,be polite to others and don't rush or become flustered especially at the ramp as your almost garranteed to stuff up.

Good luck and let us know how you go.

woronora river boat ramp also, though parking can be an issue with picknickers on the weekends and in summer, especially when they park directly in front  of the ramp.

as fab mentioned, summer means everyone is out.  I reckon any fisho/boaty that hasnt stuffed up atleast once would be a liar......we all do it at some point

3 minutes ago, mii11x said:

woronora river boat ramp also, though parking can be an issue with picknickers on the weekends and in summer, especially when they park directly in front  of the ramp.

as fab mentioned, summer means everyone is out.  I reckon any fisho/boaty that hasnt stuffed up atleast once would be a liar......we all do it at some point

I'm still stuffing up.lol.

Im sure there is others.

Id say you would be better off at Lake Illawarra at the Berkely ramp not the Windang ramp. Minnmurra gets busy in summer and the facility's cant handle the increase in punters and Windang is very busy and other than slack tide has a humming current hammering down the channel. The ramp at Berkely is perfect for begginers, protected by a break wall, no current, protected from most winds, two lanes wide ramp, large jetty or beach it on the sand, easy parking and there isn't to many serious boaters there to get upset at the new crowd ( if there are tell em to f off anyway ). In my opinion by far the most user friendly ramp in summer round the Illawarra.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-34.4843578,150.855244,400m/data=!3m1!1e3