First Marlin for me

jarvis689

Hey all, 

After spending a lot of time (probably too much at work) reading here and picking up whatever tips I can, it has finally all paid off. I bought a nice boat a couple of years ago with the hope that I can one day find and catch my own big game Fish. 

Went out today from broken bay to try again with higher hopes after some reports and a look at the temperatures. 

Around midday the dream finally happened, the left rod went off screaming and I could see the bill smashing around out the back. What a rush! 

My mate got the decks cleared quickly and efficiently whilst I held on. We then played it well and had it at the boat after about 15 minutes. Then got it off at a nice distance from the boat as I had no intention of keeping it or having the potential damage trying to bring it in. 

Happy the gear and knots all held up. Caught on 15kg on a Shimano TLD 20. Was off long reef area in 105m of water. It was 23.2 when we got it. Fair few birds out and some big schools of bait around. Was kinda hoping for a big dolly to take home but no complaints. 

We only managed a little bit of video as we were both a bit preoccupied. If anyone could help with a guess at what it is it would be appreciated. It was about 1.40m-1.60m long (not including the beak). 

Anyway, thanks for the tips on this site. Don't think I could have done it without. 

https://youtu.be/3QNGhbQ7_cE

Cheers 

(now it's time to invest in some outriggers so I can run a better spread rather than my hacked together rod holders out the side) 

Congratulations mate, it's bloody great when you get the first one!!  Hard to tell from your video, but most likely a small black marlin.  As for outriggers, check out the site sponsors Seriously Stainless, Gary has some great outriggers at a very reasonable price.  Good luck with the next one, hope it's not too far away.  Cheers........

Dave

On 12/01/2017 at 10:04 PM, rickmarlin62 said:

not a great deal  of air footage but after freezing shot it has fixed pectorals..little black..rick..congrats

Thanks mate. There was a lot of jumping throughout the fight which was awesome. 

This is about as good as it gets from the video. Screenshot_20170112-224516.png

Edited by jarvis689
Spelling