Box ticked: flatty on plastics

Mike89

I've been trying to get into soft plastics this summer, mixing up blackie or kingy sessions with targeting flathead with plastics. A couple of weeks ago I caught my first fish (tailor) on plastics, which was some encouragement, but still no flatty!

Decided on an easy session this morning at Balmoral as I was heading south on my way home and it looked like a nice morning. The tide was up, the water clear and brimming with signs of life: little schools of tailor glimmering in the sunshine just below the surface.

Caught a nice bait-sized pike off the bat which gave me some encouragement. The tailor were tearing my plastics to shreds though; I must have gone through a whole packet by the time I packed up! Somehow I also managed to hook a baby coffin ray, which gave me a little shock through the towel as I unhooked it. The ray was released and swam off with gusto.

A little later I was slow-hopping a minnow across the bottom when bang! With a loose drag on a little 1000 reel, this thing zoomed off. As the little drag system whizzed and whirred I wondered if it actually was a flathead or something else. A short and very satisfying wrestle later, I had on deck my first flatty caught on plastics. Stoked! Went about 45cm and will make a very nice barbecue this evening.

20170130_105130.jpg

I'll tell you what. Catching a table-sized flatty on 6lb leader, a 1-4kg rod and a little Sedona 1000 reel is FUN. Now I know what this finesse plastics stuff is all about. Will do it again soon!

Edited by Mike89

6 hours ago, Mike89 said:

Catching a table-sized flatty on 6lb leader, a 1-4kg rod and a little Sedona 1000 reel is FUN. Now I know what this finesse plastics stuff is all about. Will do it again soon!

Well done Mike, its addictive catching a good size fish super light.

Mark

23 hours ago, MattGb1989 said:

Nicely done pal. I'm yet to master the sp's waiting till I can buy a good rig for it. What sp did u use??

Cheers. I've been using Berkely Gulp 3" in minnow and prawn shapes. A lot of people have said that Z-man are better. Do you have any recommendations?

43 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

Cheers. I've been using Berkely Gulp 3" in minnow and prawn shapes. A lot of people have said that Z-man are better. Do you have any recommendations?

Not as yet IV only used a cheap brand as I still am learning how to set them on the jigs but have been doing some research and I'm liking the look of the Zman ez shrimpz soft plastic 3.5 inch. I need to buy a better rod n reel I think before I'll be able to really get into the sp's as I'm just using a generic Jarvis walker ATM. 

Great catch Mike and a perfect size for the plate.

2 reasons I'm a big fan of Z-man plastics is firstly they are as tough and will stand up to the tailor as good as any plastic going around. Secondly they float and on the pause with the right weight jighead they will sit on the bottom with their tail up waving in the current, kind of like something feeding in the sand just begging to be eaten.

10 hours ago, mdevitt88 said:

Good Catch man! Yeah I'm a fan of the Z-Mans myself, got sick of the gulps getting chewed up. Only thing is that you have to super glue them to the jig head to stop them sliding down.

Cheers Dev. Will have to add a tube of super glue to the fishing arsenal.

Nice one Mike, congrats on the first flatty on plastic. I also like the Z-mans as they are super tough, but using the Gulp minnow smelt colour (looks like a little poddy mullet) always seems to get a flatty in the estuaries.

On 30/01/2017 at 1:23 PM, Mike89 said:

I'll tell you what. Catching a table-sized flatty on 6lb leader, a 1-4kg rod and a little Sedona 1000 reel is FUN. Now I know what this finesse plastics stuff is all about. Will do it again soon!

And ambitious - I tend to go a little heavier on the leader when I am targeting flatties.   8lb or even 15lb.  I find my hookup rate is still good, but I don't get chewed off as often.  When the flatties really engulf the plastic their abrasive teeth will sheer you off pretty easily on 6lb when they headshake, so unless you get a nice clean lip hookup you run the risk of getting chewed.  A big flattie will be off in no time.  Always a trade-off.

2 hours ago, kiwicraig said:

And ambitious - I tend to go a little heavier on the leader when I am targeting flatties.   8lb or even 15lb.  I find my hookup rate is still good, but I don't get chewed off as often.  When the flatties really engulf the plastic their abrasive teeth will sheer you off pretty easily on 6lb when they headshake, so unless you get a nice clean lip hookup you run the risk of getting chewed.  A big flattie will be off in no time.  Always a trade-off.

Yes you certainly are right there. One little side roll and the leader would have snapped on the spikes!

I've got some 12lb I might join on when targeting flatties in the future.

Cheers for the tip Craig!