Harbour fishing

Penguin

Hi everyone,

I took my boys out for some land based squiding on Saturday as we were hoping to use them for Kingy baits on Sunday.

We could only manage five squid, but that's better than none.

Sunday morning saw my boys and I, plus a mate down in the harbour catching yakkas. We also caught a few  flatties and bream along with

a nice flounder while catching yakkas.  After we had 10 in the live well we downrigged one of the yakkas and a squid from the previous day around

some of the markers in the harbour. Not one of our offerings were touched.  After awhile we decided to go back to anchoring up and soaking some

baits. We had liveys out all afternoon that only managed to catch us a stingray. We also put squid out but they got hammered by smaller fish, we did

end up with a nice Flattie and a 35cm bream on the squid however. I also landed this 40cm rather weird looking fish, I think its a grinner.

Baits used were yakkas, squid, pillies and peeled banana prawns.

Here's a few pics.

mst2s.jpg

2ihospu.jpg

15nvbyr.jpg

9u3ihc.jpg

34rysnq.jpg

p8y8g.jpg

t4xuon.jpg

35ibns0.jpg

2uhs9rq.jpg

2cpf514.jpg

My mate Chris and a flattie

5f5180.jpg

My son and a strange looking species I caught, I think what is known as a Grinner.

2q2lkhz.jpg

Chris and a Flattie that took a small squid.

2z3p2kh.jpg

v826qc.jpg

The bream were peppering our whole squid, this one managed to find the hook that was intended for a larger fish.

167v3ts.jpg

A feed for two families after releasing many smaller fish that kept attacking our baits.

302cdh1.jpg

Edited by Penguin

Excellent report and some great quality photos to remember the day!

That has got to be the biggest grinner I've ever seen!

The squid jig you are using is my personal favourite. I think I've caught probably 90% of my squid on that one. Must have bought it six or seven times already.

Top result!

Edited by Mike89

Guest Guest123456789

Great stuff - this country needs more Dads like you, so many important lessons your boys would be learning. Looks like you found a good spread of blue spots