Fishfinder questions

Wellzy94

Hey guys,

Taking a look at some of the cheaper fishfinders. Currently looking at Lowrance 4" models. What's the difference between the Hook and Elite CHIRP models? The CHIRP is $60 bucks cheaper from the big fishing and camping store, but I think the image also looks crisper. Does the Hook have any extra functions, or something else that makes it more expensive?

Also when it comes to the transducer, what do you prefer for mounting? Scupper mount, or in-hull? What are the pros/cons of each?

Cheers,

Wellzy

Hey Wellzy,

I recently installed a Lowrance 4x Chirp on my old yak and wasn't that impressed with it. If I was offshore and there was a little whitewash beneath from some backwash, it couldn't read too well. I'm not sure of the differences between the options you mentioned. Be interested to hear other peoples view of it. Previously I had an Eagle Cuda 128 which was so basic but worked much much better but couldn't find a replacement one when looking. I recently upgraded my yak so might look into a Hummingbird next.

Edited by damos

Hook 4x and Elite 4x are the same thing just renamed and offered at a cheaper price.

Transducer is mounted to the lowrance ready mount on the Hobie. Basically install and forget so you only take the finder off after use. Fiddling around with wiring before and after a session is a pain ?

Have you decided who sits where in the Yak?

Looking at your Yak I'd sacrifice one of the rod holders to be the finder mount, then side mount the transducer beside it. It would probably get in the way of your paddle holders but the paddle can always be tossed inside the Yak ?

What I  have read - garmin or raymarine dragonfly (+ silicone seal of SD card) are usually suggested for kayaks.  Dragonfly would more water-resistant. A number of complaints was for Lowrance.

If you are not much interested in temperature readings then in-hull transducer installation can be considered.

36 minutes ago, Lungfai76 said:

Have you decided who sits where in the Yak?

Looking at your Yak I'd sacrifice one of the rod holders to be the finder mount, then side mount the transducer beside it. It would probably get in the way of your paddle holders but the paddle can always be tossed inside the Yak ?

I've got the front seat :D

That's not a bad idea actually. I'm gonna get everything cleaned up tomorrow or friday afternoon and get some better pics up, too.

I have the chirp mounted up front in my bass boat, have the tranny mounted to the shaft of the electric motor, works well.

I know it's not a yak but as long as the tranny is in the water and aiming at the bottom of the sea bed it will work OK.

Frank

16 hours ago, Wellzy94 said:

Picked up a Lowrance on the cheap, got the Hook 4x.

000-12641-001-2.jpg

Now I've just got to knock up a battery box, and get set for installing it next weekend!

Cheers,

Wellzy

Got the same one I got ? Bought mine at the same place using the fish for coupons, $50 off for buying online and 15% cheap Tuesday promo they were running. Came in at a shockingly good price ?

What battery you planning to use for it? Blue Lipo?

How long do you think you'll average on the water? Not thinking about any other electrics? Nav lights, aerator etc? 

If memory serves me right, the hook will run at .8AH or there so, given that the 7.2 will give you roughly 6 hours finder usage (recommended 80% draw). If you want to connect on lights for the Hairtail social then you'll need more AH ? Oh and an onboard VHF to heckle mothership and disco leds along the hull to attract schoolies and a water canon so you can sink the SS Krause......ah the fun you can have with mods ?

Sorry im late to the party. My first statement is mount it centrally, cheap kayaks (sorry, i have too though) don't cut the water well and edge mounting it like a hobbie will just see it get very wet  is your in the wind/swell.

Cheap kayaks also don't come with external mounting positions which sucks.  I have an elite 4 and have installed it in hull. It works fine but make sure you do it right.  My first attempt was with silicon and it delaminated revealing loss of air bubbles.  Second attempt was with sikaflex but it got torn out yesterday after delaminating again (lasted way longer with no air bubbles).

For the third install i started fabricating an arm to mount it externally, but after 2 days landing kings, ive just excepted that an external arm will cause mass tangles when fish dick under the hull. Hence I've gone with in hull again, this time using big boy glue (marine goop).

2 minutes ago, krause said:

Sorry im late to the party. My first statement is mount it centrally, cheap kayaks (sorry, i have too though) don't cut the water well and edge mounting it like a hobbie will just see it get very wet  is your in the wind/swell.

Cheap kayaks also don't come with external mounting positions which sucks.  I have an elite 4 and have installed it in hull. It works fine but make sure you do it right.  My first attempt was with silicon and it delaminated revealing loss of air bubbles.  Second attempt was with sikaflex but it got torn out yesterday after delaminating again (lasted way longer with no air bubbles).

For the third install i started fabricating an arm to mount it externally, but after 2 days landing kings, ive just excepted that an external arm will cause mass tangles when fish dick under the hull. Hence I've gone with in hull again, this time using big boy glue (marine goop).

I'll definitely take a look at my options for the mounting. If I mount it at the front, I can probably fabricate an arm to extend it closer to the front seat, making it easier to see.

I was certainly leaning towards in-hull, because of the same concern with tangles. Did you use standard or marine-grade silicon and sikaflex on the first two tranny installs?

Also no mention of defense mechanisms to counter the Krause-sinking water cannon or disco LEDs? Haha.

@Lungfai76 I'll make a box for the 42Ah battery as I'll still have one stashed away and I do plan on adding lights for night-trips, but I don't want to lug a 14kg battery every time I go out!

Cheers,

Wellzy

Both were marine grade, the skiing in particular was a high grade Marrone product. The issue is that nothing stocks to polyethylene. Marine goop is one product that is supposed to work, and there is also a silicon that hobie supplies to dealers. Si yer its the hull material not the Silicon that causes issues. 

No need for defenses, and a 42 Ah battery is horrible over kill for lights and a sounder. Id keep it for a motor, but other than that stock to a 7 or 10 Ah

1 hour ago, krause said:

No need for defenses, and a 42 Ah battery is horrible over kill for lights and a sounder. Id keep it for a motor, but other than that stock to a 7 or 10 Ah

I'd recommend a 18ah, gives you a usable 14ah and isn't so heavy so you can connect extra things besides finder and lights. Or grab a solar charger for the 7-10ah

Lungfai, you seem to know your shit.  Ive got a 7Ah for my sounder, can i run a second 7Ah in parallel or is that more complicated than im assuming? Should i instead just setup a 2nd circuit for lights etc

4 minutes ago, krause said:

Lungfai, you seem to know your shit.  Ive got a 7Ah for my sounder, can i run a second 7Ah in parallel or is that more complicated than im assuming? Should i instead just setup a 2nd circuit for lights etc

If it's the same as any electrical circuit, running the batteries in parallel will give you double the amperage with the same voltage. So it should double the lifetime of your supply at 12V.

I'm getting a 7Ah for free so I'll use that while it's just the sounder, but if (more likely when) I add extra stuff I'll up the battery size!

Wellzy has it correct, run them parallel to double the AH.

Run them in series if you want to double the voltage. This is how you convert C batteries to a 12v battery. If you have toys with battery packs that hold C batteries you can make battery packs. Alkaline C batteries are rated at 1.2v discharge with capacity of 7.8ah, now if you were to rig them in a series you'll need 10 batteries to make a 12v 7aH battery pack ?. A mate and I rigged his cheap Yak up with DIY everything and we tried these packs. Good for emergencies but being unable to  recharge them made them pointless.

Bear in mind this was way back, the cell voltage may have changed with new tech and materials.

• 2 weeks later...