Budget reel recommendations

Shane123

Hi guys,

I'm a newbie and looking to replace my cheap Jarvis walker 8ft combo spinning reel with something a bit better built. (I'm already on my 2nd one since Xmas) 

I'm hoping to get something I could also switch to larger surf rods too occasionally.

My budget is around $150.

The current reel is a 650 so I'm guessing around 6000 level could be the go. 

Any advice appreciated. :)

3 hours ago, Shane123 said:

Hi guys,

I'm a newbie and looking to replace my cheap Jarvis walker 8ft combo spinning reel with something a bit better built. (I'm already on my 2nd one since Xmas) 

I'm hoping to get something I could also switch to larger surf rods too occasionally.

My budget is around $150.

The current reel is a 650 so I'm guessing around 6000 level could be the go. 

Any advice appreciated. :)

What/ where do you fish from and what do you want to fish for?

Hi Roylo,

Mostly off breakwalls and the beach when the surf isnt too big.  My current reel seems to be hard work  to reel in against the tide and with even small fish on the hook. And I busted the anti reverse mechanism with a small whiting.  

Just after something that makes the job easier and will hopefully last a few years 

Guest Guest123456789

Easy choice. Pfleugar salt. Less than $150 and they have a 6000 reel.

carbon fibre drag but the best feature is NO reverse lever. Great vector for salt to get into your bearings, who uses reverse gear anyway.

Guest Guest123456789

And if reeling is too hard it could be your line is too thick. Maybe lower diameter braid could improve your fishing experience.

On 03/02/2017 at 7:07 PM, jeffb5.8 said:

Abu Garcia have a range in sale for $129 for and certain big fish camping boating place club members, pick your Braid weight and select the combo to suit.

they are normally $240 

Thanks Luke.

I was looking at that reel actually. That well known camping and fishing store has the pflueger salt combos on sale. I could probably score the reel and a rod for my $150.. Not bad

Hey guys.

I looked at the pflueger salt. The 6000 was a bit big and heavy and they didn't have a 5000 in stock. 

The guy spoke highly of the daiwa saltist. Which is on sale too for around $130.

Are these reels pretty on par? 

Cheers