Saturday plastics session

Mike89

After reaching my first success targeting flathead on soft plastics last week, fellow raider DerekD got in touch to see if I would be up for a plastics session on Saturday afternoon. Perhaps I would learn a thing or two!

Headed down to an area Derek was very familiar with (having fished there for years) and got started just after lunch. There he demonstrated his dynamite retrieve on a 9" Powerbait, assuring me that one day soon I'd get the rhythm right and manage to achieve the same darting motion that had already scored him one king for the day before I arrived.

What a great teacher! From the get-go Derek corrected my errors, showed me where I needed to improve and taught me a few basic retrieves to target flathead. While we did get a few nibbles at the first stop, we decided to move closer in to the shallower water. A rather large and frisky salmon proved a distraction from the flatties as we flung plastics in its direction every time we saw a surface.

Derek managed a nice flatty here that went around 35cm.

Later we moved on over to the wharf working the walls and pylons and practicing casting accuracy. Again a few bites here but no solid takes. Did have a bit of fun retrieving a lady's rod that had been pulled into the drink - I'm sure she was happy to get it back!

Great day out and plenty of information and new techniques to mull over in the next few sessions. Big thanks to Derek for taking the time to get out with me and help me learn this challenging and rewarding way to fish.

No photos unfortunately as we were too busy!

Edited by Mike89

Guest Guest123456789

Well done Mike and thumbs up to @DerekD for mentoring another raider.  

Personally, I love fishing with the more seasoned anglers, you learn so much from them and often then learn a thing or two from you.

Hi Mike,

Even though I was there I really enjoyed reading this and other reports you have taken the time to upload. For me it was a pleasure meeting you and a fun afternoon. I hope that you can make it for another session when we can fish a number of other spots in the area and see if we can get your species count up. Just don't blame me too much if you feel the need to add to your tackle collection. :D

Regards,

Derek

PS. Considering you have only been fishing for two years I was seriously impressed at the amount of knowledge you have accumulated in that time.

7 hours ago, DerekD said:

Hi Mike,

Even though I was there I really enjoyed reading this and other reports you have taken the time to upload. For me it was a pleasure meeting you and a fun afternoon. I hope that you can make it for another session when we can fish a number of other spots in the area and see if we can get your species count up. Just don't blame me too much if you feel the need to add to your tackle collection. :D

Regards,

Derek

PS. Considering you have only been fishing for two years I was seriously impressed at the amount of knowledge you have accumulated in that time.

Good work Derek - have earned a Mentor badge. I will sort it out soon for you. 

Yep, certainly a master of plastics and a fantastic teacher.

Headed out again this afternoon. Managed a few nice chases by some nice sizey kings. Hooked a flatty but dropped it pretty soon after the hookup.

Getting better!