Sunglasses with strongest glare cut

savit

HI All,

Would like to hear your suggestions on fishing sunglasses brand/models  with strongest glare cut and low light transmission which are still suitable for saltwater sight fishing.

Thank you,

savit

29 minutes ago, swordfisherman said:

I just got a pair of ice blue marine spotters and they are awesome

Thank you. How is blue (mirror) coating for sight fishing? Also, did you have chance to compare them to similar Costas 580 or Smith Optics Chromapop?

Looks like Spotters are quite popular. I had a look at their website  and could not find light transmission levels info however got interested in their Penetrator (photochromic) lenses.

Still looking for the suggestions of sunglasses for the above mentioned purpose. 

24 minutes ago, swordfisherman said:

Photochromic lenses will never be as good as dedicated sunglasses ? 

Last time I looked at this 'new' technology about 20 years ago, They had limited light transmission range and were 'slow'. Seems like there were no significant improvements. However, I guess,  they might be good as driver's sunglasses. 

16 minutes ago, swordfisherman said:

They only work outside of the car

It's important. Thanks again.

Just wondering is anyone tried alpine/mountaineering sunglasses for fishing? They cut most of light and supposedly glare as well.  I presume sight fishing is not an option with them.

I have had a couple of pairs of spotters and Costas. I prefer the costas. I have friends with Spotters and also with Maui Jim's. I tried out some Smiths when picking my costas. They were also very good.  

I think all of these brands are good and it comes down to personal preference. I would get glass lenses if you can afford them and as mentioned the photo chromatic lenses don't really work in the car or under canopies, in cabins as the lens is shaded but you at looking out to bright stuff. 

8 hours ago, Captain Spanner said:

I transmCosta'sd a couple of pairs of spotters and  Costglass prefer the costas. I have friends with Spotters and also with Maui Jim's. I tried out some Smiths when picking my costas. They were also very good.  

I think all of these brands are good and it comes down to personal preference. I would get glass lenses if you can afford them and as mentioned the photo chromatic lenses don't really work in the car or under canopies, in cabins as the lens is shaded but you at looking out to bright stuff. 

Thank you Captain Spanner. I have Costas 580g green mirror with lowest light transmission 10%. I had a chance to compare  them to Costas 580p blue  mirror in the store artificial lights and did not see significant difference inside. May be they are quite different outside. I would prefer something stronger With lower light transmissioN and stronger glare reduction. Even considering Alpine sunglasses (3-10% light transmissioni) LOL. Though I doubt they work for sight fishing. Spotters photochromatics  have only 49% to 20% light transmission range. Weight of  glass does not bother me. I tried couple of Mauis locally  in the past , they were  Very light and made of thin plastic.

Which Costas do you use and where and why do you prefer them over Spotters?

Thanks,

savit.

I have the Green Mirror 580G Costas and the image is very clear and the lenses are super scratch proof. I used to have the 580P lenses but they eventually became too scratched and ratty and i think sometimes sunscreen can delaminate one of the layers on the lenses. The frames are a little more comfortable on my head than my spotters, which are an older model and not quite as scratch proof (I think the new spotters lenses are more scratch proof now). I also find that the lenses in my Costas give less funny colours at different angles than my spotters and are generally better for reading digital (LCD style) screens. I think Costas are pretty light for glass lenses too.

My sunnies are more low light lenses, with a copperish tinge but i wear them all day everyday. If you want a darker lens then you should probably look  more at the grey end of the colours than the reds, coppers and yellows. I find that while my lenses make colours brighter they really do cut through glare well. Cutting Glare with good polarisation is a different thing to just having a dark tint that lets less light through.

I am not sure which Maui Jims you looked at but the ones i have looked at in the shops have super thin and strong glass that feels lighter than plastic and is meant to be very strong and scratch resistant. They are lighter than the Costas i have tried and owned.

I am not sure about Maui Jims as my friends haven't broken theirs yet but both Costa and Spotters have very good after sales service from my experience.

1 hour ago, Captain Spanner said:

I have the Green Mirror 580G Costas and the image is very clear and the lenses are super scratch proof. I used to have the 580P lenses but they eventually became too scratched and ratty and i think sometimes sunscreen can delaminate one of the layers on the lenses. The frames are a little more comfortable on my head than my spotters, which are an older model and not quite as scratch proof (I think the new spotters lenses are more scratch proof now). I also find that the lenses in my Costas give less funny colours at different angles than my spotters and are generally better for reading digital (LCD style) screens. I think Costas are pretty light for glass lenses too.

My sunnies are more low light lenses, with a copperish tinge but i wear them all day everyday. If you want a darker lens then you should probably look  more at the grey end of the colours than the reds, coppers and yellows. I find that while my lenses make colours brighter they really do cut through glare well. Cutting Glare with good polarisation is a different thing to just having a dark tint that lets less light through.

I am not sure which Maui Jims you looked at but the ones i have looked at in the shops have super thin and strong glass that feels lighter than plastic and is meant to be very strong and scratch resistant. They are lighter than the Costas i have tried and owned.

I am not sure about Maui Jims as my friends haven't broken theirs yet but both Costa and Spotters have very good after sales service from my experience.

Thanks for that.  I presume you meant Costa's Blue Mirror which supposed to have GREY base and designed for open water. Probably I should try again to find the stores which stock blue 580G for comparison. Did you have a chance to compare Blue Mirror 580G vs Green Mirror 580G?

I tried a number of Maui Jims in one of large CBD shops a year ago or so. The pair that I liked (size, color, light transmission level, glare protection, minimum light from sides) was very light despite large size, and looked even  a bit fragile, however shop assistant confirmed that lenses were actually plastic.

I was considering getting a pair of blue mirror for more Bluewater applications fishing all through the middle of the day because I thought the grey base might be easier on the eyes but I tried a pair out in the water recently and they seemed even brighter than mine and a more yellow colour. I don't know what base they were on but you would assume grey. I only had them on for 30 seconds and it was the middle of a sunny day. I think you will get used to whatever you have. I do think that after a long day in bright sun and glare your eyes feel a bit cooked with the green mirror and copper base but you can see well. A different colour might be better for theee conditions but I only own and wear the one pair

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Savit, thought I would add my 2 cents in and share my costa experience ive had over the last week.

Ive had the Costa Blackfin with grey 580 glass lens for about 3 years. Last week after being out in the boat I grabbed my fishing bag out of the boat along with some other bits and pieces and my costas which were in their case fell out of my bag with out me knowing. It was dark and I accidently trod on the case and smashed one of the lenses to pieces. Over the last week or so I have been deciding weather to repair them or buy a new set. I spoke to the guys at Repala (Costa Australia) and decided to get the lense replaced. They don't do single lenses so I agreed to get 2 new lenses but I changed from the Grey to the green mirror. Part of the rubber on the arm had deteriorated and they said they will replace the rubber under warranty and i'll just have to pay for the replacement lenses.

Yesterday I received a call from them saying they don't do the same colour frame as what I have but they will put the new lenses into a brand new frame under warranty! So I decided on the realrtree camo frame and just got them delivered to me at work this morning. So in the end it cost me about $160 for a full new pair of glasses as opposed to the $370 - $400 cost to buy new ones.

Absolutely stoked with their after sales service and the outcome. As someone mentioned earlier their customer service and warranty policy is second to none. Cant recommend them enough. Heres a pic of my new glasses but obviously I'm yet to try the new green mirror lenses... A very happy customer...

costa pic.jpg

@onearmedfisho, thanks for sharing. I thought Black Pete from Brookvale is still looking after Costas in AU.  I think you had a very good experience with local Costas warranty as there was a number of complaints about Costas limited lifetime warranty on OS/US fishing forums. Last time I checked  my local tackle shop was selling  580P (plastic) for $370 regular and $300 on sale, so I think you might have saved even more if buying locally.