motorguide xi5 gps

mii11x

So the time has come to upgrade my old MG leccy for the gps pinpoint model.  

1.  Does anyone know how to measure the shaft lengths?  ie 54" and 60"

2.  Do you need to hook up the leccy to a lowrance sounder for the gps ability to function.  ie if i dont connect it to my sounder, can i still use the spot lock function

cheers guys

The shaft length measurement for Minn Kota is from the very top of the unit to the centre line of the motor at the bottom. Or in line with the propellor nut. I assume it would be the same for MG but not 100%. 

I can't imagine they would make the GPS only work when connected to a sounder. 

Guest Guest123456789

The GPS is located in the electric itself. You can connect some models of lowrance to motorguide for additional functionality. Specifically, contour lock, whereby the leccy will autopilot for you along a specific depth contour.

• 8 months later...

I have the Xi5 and think it's great, but if I was to buy a new one tomorrow I'd get a Minn Kota. Only reason is that some Minn Kota models have self deploy, one touch of a button lowers and raises it. Yes I'm a lazy bugger.

Cheers

Rob

Guest Guest123456789
On 14/11/2017 at 1:46 PM, Ducky said:

I literally just purchased a 60” 55lb Xi5 a few weeks ago with all the kit to link to my lowrance. Hasn’t been wet yet but gee I’m lookin forward to it!

Nice!

can you control the leccy through the sounder? Boy I’d like that feature, mainly as a back up in case the remote fails.

On 14/11/2017 at 9:45 AM, Brainfish said:

Thinking of gettong one myself  would you recomend this motor ?Cheers 

I've got a 55lb 54inch Xi5 on my boat and definitely recommend it. Its still early days as I've only had it a couple of months,

Anchor mode works very well even in wind and current and the Jog mode is a great feature. Battery life seems pretty good, I replaced an old Watersnake with foot control and the Xi5 remote is a lot better to use especially fishing one-up where I tend to wander around the boat a lot more.

I weighed it up against the Minn Kota, I suspect they are both good motors however there was quite a few lures difference in the price.

16 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Nice!

can you control the leccy through the sounder? Boy I’d like that feature, mainly as a back up in case the remote fails.

Yeah you sure can, the features are brilliant. I could go on and on but you best YouTube some videos. Starlo has a couple good clips too.

I too heavily weighed up Minn Kota, features are similar, both well built but the dollar savings were too big to ignore. I have local authorised MG support but my closest MK support was a few hundred clicks away - no good for service and repairs etc.