Insane day at Botany Bay, Kingfish, 4m Shark.

PowerFisher

4 hours ago, allen_f said:

We were 2 of them haha, should've come around to say hi! The other two head off to the drum mid morning when it got quiet.

Our morning was an interesting one.

Upon arrival at moli, someone was hooked up to a shark which took his rat, the shark proceeded to tow him out of the bay LOL. I hooked up to a 42cm trevally, which was kept. Both of us then got onto rat kings up to 62cm and whilst another tinnie brought up another rat, it was circled by another shark.

We proceeded to the drums and saw some huge ass seals, went for one drift then had to perform a rescue mission which lasted the next two hours... That was uh to say the least an interesting morning.

Sounds like I should have come over!

I see so many boats there all the time but no one ever seems to catch anything. 

I got a couple of nice 50cm blue spots & a couple of flounder for the table.

Still would have liked a bit of fun with some rats though. 

ACJ, I got stalked by a shark off Clovelly Cemetery one day,many years ago, about 200m out on a surf ski,heading for Wedding Cake Island Coogee from Bondi,I never went back.The fin came at me from my right side and submarine dived under my ski,I was that scared I was almost crying and couldn't stop myself from shaking.

I say your mate is telling the truth,if not i swear they are out there, where he said.

Edited by DMG

Hi Guys,

I can confirm the 4m shark at the same spot as your photos last Friday 17th Feb at 12 noon.

Put out a juicy 30 cm mackerel unweighted on a large hook with 1m wire trace. In the mean time pulled in a Kingy on the other rod, 3 minutes later I hear the ZZZZZZZ, pick up the small TLD overhead and then ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ 100 m of line peals off. Changed to maximum drag and it slowed him a little, real too small for this beast. Then the line went slack, waited a few seconds and started to real it in. He must have swam towards me and cut the main mono 40 kg line cleaner than any surgeons knife.

Yes he is out there, and has a No.6 hook and 1m wire trace hanging from his mouth.

Too many things against me,  anchored, only me on the boat and had other lines out. 

What a experience!  

IMG_1108.JPG

Edited by splithead

6 hours ago, splithead said:

Hi Guys,

I can confirm the 4m shark at the same spot as your photos last Friday 17th Feb at 12 noon.

Put out a juicy 30 cm mackerel unweighted on a large hook with 1m wire trace. In the mean time pulled in a Kingy on the other rod, 3 minutes later I hear the ZZZZZZZ, pick up the small TLD overhead and then ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ 100 m of line peals off. Changed to maximum drag and it slowed him a little, real too small for this beast. Then the line went slack, waited a few seconds and started to real it in. He must have swam towards me and cut the main mono 40 kg line cleaner than any surgeons knife.

Yes he is out there, and has a No.6 hook and 1m wire trace hanging from his mouth.

Too many things against me,  anchored, only me on the boat and had other lines out. 

What a experience!  

IMG_1108.JPG

Wow you had a crazy day.  That would be a awesome fight with that beast. The dates that fish was confirmed in that area so far is from 17feb to 22febuary. Intresting to know if it is gone. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/02/2017 at 11:02 PM, PowerFisher said:

Wow the shark was still there yesterday. It is getting a good feed on kingfish :)

Glad the seals are hanging out at the drums. They have sensed the danger. I hope they stay there until the shark has completely gone. Will be sad to see them killed.

I would suspect that there are a lot more than just one or two

Lads, I was out that morning on my kayak also...caught a legal King 70cm on first light and few rats.  Started heading back to shore (off to work) by 7am so missed the shark action...but I intend to target them from my yak soon.  Would be an adventure I'm sure.

Cheers.