Hervey Bay Holiday Report

Burnsy

Hi All,

I just spent a week in Hervey Bay and over on Fraser Island and had a bloody ball. QLD always suprises me with the size of the fish.

Day 1 saw us out in the boat fishing for reds. I managed my first two fish on SP's, one 42cm and one 43cm as well as a small yellowtail king.

Day 2 I was over at Kingfisher resort on Fraser Island. I was up a 4.30 keen to fish the wharf. I nailed a 71cm flattie on my third cast on a blue and white spearhead (Old favourite) , a 65cm flattie on a 5 inch Kokata minow, dropped two more in the fist 30 mins and then the tide started to run and the place went mental. I watched in awe as 1 meter long flatties moved in over the sandflats and horded up baitfish in bait balls, then Mac Tuna started working in two foot of water in front of me, followed by Spanish Makeral. I suceeded in getting blown away with Mac Tuna attacking my flattie plastics. I managed a 42cm Trevally to finish the session.

Day 3 back for another early moring on Kingfisher Wharf. Things were a bit quiter as the tide was later, then the Mac Tuna arrived and the Spanish Mackeral. The big lizards were there but would not play point blank regardless of what I through at them. Got blown away my more Mac Tuna.

Day 4 back out in the boat fishing the end of a rock wall that had current running hard. I was casting a 4 inch white squidgey and working it back when I was smashed and started loosing a lot of line. I saw the splash of a jump and called it for a queenfish, fist on a SP which I boated at 76cm. I had several more follows by the queenies, then managed a 60cm yellowtail kingfish followed by small fingermark Bream.

New species for the trip on plastics were Squire, Queenfish, Yellowtail Kingfish, Fingermark Bream.

I am still blown away at having the chance to watch the big flatties feeding. I have never seen it before and I was suprised at how quickley they were moving in over the shallows. I learnt one valuble lesson big flatties like big plastics. I lost my last 5 inch Kokoda minow at the end of the first day and could not get them to play on 3 inch power minows, squidgeys or any of the other array of soft plastics I had as they were all 3 inch tails.

Burnsy

:1yikes: Fine me a travel agent!

That sounds just bloody awesome. I've been travelling to mackay, QLD for 9 years for work and have never wet a line. That is about to change.

That's a great read mate, must have been a headspin watching all that happen in such shallow water!

Well done

pete

Great place that.

I was up on the kingfisher wharf years back & old Rexy was putting a show together.

Watched a couple of 12 yr old kids with handlines nail 2 Golden Trevally 8-12kgs on live whiting while Rex & his crew with a dozen rods got diddly squat!

Got a couple of mates up there & can't wait to get there again.

Well done Burnsy, great fishing. :1fishing1:

My brother and his wife moved there last year he got a transfer with his work. They bought a block of land with ocean views.

This is from their front yard.post-688-1130243239_thumb.jpg

I will be up there next early next year as I am going to be an Uncle :thumbup: My brother wants to go out fishing as much we can, Guess I gotta do as my older brother says :biggrin2:

Hervey Bay what a lovely place.

Cheers

Trev

Great report..

Its an awesome part of the world up there. My brother bought a place up there about 6 months ago. The fishing is awesome and the amount of mud crabs in the creeks is just unbelivable :1yikes:

I really need to get back up there very soon for another visit. Might have to take the boat next time..

Yeah, my mum and sister moved up there last year so I will be making an annual pilgramidge up there from now on. The tides up there as hard to get used to I went to fish Eli Creek one morning and couldn't find any water, the creek mouth was 700 meters away on a sandbar.

There is good fishing to be had up there. Next time I am going to chase Cobia on Soft Plastics, there is supossed to be heaps of them up there.

Good to hear from you Burnsy!!

Great report mate, good to see you had a good trip. I will be heading up that way at x-mas so I will have to get together with you and pick your brain!

Same old same old down hear why you were away, except a few more fish have been caught (bream & flatty). We must get out together soon. The :wife: and I are away tomorrow to Forster to stay with the 'outlaws' so hopefully I have some good posts & pics when I get back on Sunday.

Talk soon mate.

Cheers

Riggy