What's hiding in McCarrs Creek

flattiefisher27

G'day Raiders,

just wondering if anyone's got any ideas of what's hiding up in McCarrs creek, are there big crocs, jews, big bream, pelagics? What's up there, looking at heading in on the kayak to have a look around and just wondering if anyone knows what baits or lures to use and where to go and what to target. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've attached a pic of the area too incase ive confused anyone.

cheers in advance

jacob 

IMG_0192.PNG

I'll start with I don't know the area.

If I was exploring what's on google maps I would target bream, either casting around the moored boats in the bay (the hulls covered in barnacles are the best) either with small hardbodies or cranka crabs, and then I would paddle up into the narrow sections and cast hardbodies at the snags along the edge

that's what I'd do 

Dave

I know this area well, and land based from McCarrs creek reserve has never been that successful for me (or other I have seen fishing there. My best catch was a 35cm bream. At the reserve and further upstream, the water is usually very clear and shallow (it's deep off the end of the jetty), but seems to be quite featureless. It's also not sand or mud bottom, but smallish gravel.There are some overhanging trees down one side of the reserve where I have cast plastics without success. There are abundant poddy mullet which says to me that there aren't that many predators. I think Dave (post before this one) has exactly the right idea - targetting bream under the boats and at high tide in the mangroves opposite the park. You do get occasional people down there at night fishing off the jetty - I don't know if they're more successful. It looks really fishy but has never really delivered for me.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
On 2/21/2017 at 8:11 PM, flattiefisher27 said:

G'day Raiders,

just wondering if anyone's got any ideas of what's hiding up in McCarrs creek, are there big crocs, jews, big bream, pelagics? What's up there, looking at heading in on the kayak to have a look around and just wondering if anyone knows what baits or lures to use and where to go and what to target. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've attached a pic of the area too incase ive confused anyone.

cheers in advance

jacob 

IMG_0192.PNG

Sharks!