FG vs Modified Albright Knot

foolforjesus

Hi Raiders,

For many years now, I've been using the modified albright knot for light braid/fluorocarbon connections. (4lb-8lb braid/4lb-10lb fluorocarbon)

I've never had a knot fail on a fish, however occasionally the knot will catch the rod guides and weaken or break.

I sometimes coat Loon Knot Sense over the modified albright knot to protect it, but when I don't and the knot hits the guides, I know its lost its strength and I re-tie it.

Due to this, I've been looking into changing to the FG knot.

I've seen many videos tying the FG knot with much heavier line, and from what I understand, the braid beds into the fluorocarbon leader.

My question is, does anyone have any experience with using the FG knot on 4lb-8lb braid/4lb-10lb fluorocarbon lines?

Due to the braid bedding into the leader material once tied, is it unsuitable for 4lb-10lb fluorocarbon leaders?

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by foolforjesus

Personally I think the albright is fine for just about all line classes- when you are doing lots of casting lures just use a shorter leader . One of Sydneys best kingfish guides doesnt bother with the FG even on heavy gear and he catches plenty. Other alternative if you have to use a long leader then just retie every couple of hours. 

13 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

Personally I think the albright is fine for just about all line classes- when you are doing lots of casting lures just use a shorter leader . One of Sydneys best kingfish guides doesnt bother with the FG even on heavy gear and he catches plenty. Other alternative if you have to use a long leader then just retie every couple of hours. 

I hear you Mate.

I do like the slimmer profile of the FG, but as the saying goes...if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Guest Guest123456789

You can use an FG knot on 4lbs but it's a lot harder to tie and you need more turns to prevent the line slipping.

anything less than 10lbs I use a double uni knot, 10 turns on braid side and 4 turns on fluro side. It's as strong as an FG knot but does have a larger profile. Larger profile doesn't matter on lighter lines it will still run through the guides and bail arm.

6 minutes ago, flatheadluke said:

You can use an FG knot on 4lbs but it's a lot harder to tie and you need more turns to prevent the line slipping.

anything less than 10lbs I use a double uni knot, 10 turns on braid side and 4 turns on fluro side. It's as strong as an FG knot but does have a larger profile. Larger profile doesn't matter on lighter lines it will still run through the guides and bail arm.

Hi flatheadluke,

Do you think if I was to tie the FG on 4lb braid/6lb fluorocarbon, with the required amount of wraps, it's a superior knot?

If you increase the number of wraps for the smaller gauge line, the FG will be stronger. But it comes down to "is the extra time it takes to tie a knot worth it?" especially if the modified albright works. Regardless of the knot you use, if it passes through the guides it will weaken over time. So essentially, use whatever knot is easier for you to tie if it works, and re-tie it every so often to prevent fatiguing knots busting off.

Cheers,

Wellzy

Guest Guest123456789

Hi Jesus,

The FG is better if they're both tied correctly because it has a lower profile. But I've found I only need a lower profile when using larger diameter line. So because the double uni is quicker and easier to tie I use that for light line.

2 hours ago, Wellzy94 said:

If you increase the number of wraps for the smaller gauge line, the FG will be stronger. But it comes down to "is the extra time it takes to tie a knot worth it?" especially if the modified albright works. Regardless of the knot you use, if it passes through the guides it will weaken over time. So essentially, use whatever knot is easier for you to tie if it works, and re-tie it every so often to prevent fatiguing knots busting off.

Cheers,

Wellzy

Hi Wellzy,

Yes good point. I think I'm going to stick with the modified albright knot.

The FG is nice, but what puts me off is the amount of line you need for it. (the tag ends need to be long)

2 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Hi Jesus,

The FG is better if they're both tied correctly because it has a lower profile. But I've found I only need a lower profile when using larger diameter line. So because the double uni is quicker and easier to tie I use that for light line.

Yeah ok, cheers Mate.

3 hours ago, foolforjesus said:

Hi Raiders,

For many years now, I've been using the modified albright knot for light braid/fluorocarbon connections. (4lb-8lb braid/4lb-10lb fluorocarbon)

I've never had a knot fail on a fish, however occasionally the knot will catch the rod guides and weaken or break.

I sometimes coat Loon Knot Sense over the modified albright knot to protect it, but when I don't and the knot hits the guides, I know its lost its strength and I re-tie it.

Due to this, I've been looking into changing to the FG knot.

I've seen many videos tying the FG knot with much heavier line, and from what I understand, the braid beds into the fluorocarbon leader.

My question is, does anyone have any experience with using the FG knot on 4lb-8lb braid/4lb-10lb fluorocarbon lines?

Due to the braid bedding into the leader material once tied, is it unsuitable for 4lb-10lb fluorocarbon leaders?

Cheers,

Chris

The modified Albright, if done a certain way is the best leader knot I've come across. No under strength failures or problems with guides. Pm me if you want to know how I do it. 

G'day Chris, I use the FG on my baitcasters but I'm fishing with 20-50 lb braid and 30- 40lb leader, where it is the lowest profile knot for casting accuracy and doesn't fail. However I won't use it for the application that you're using as it simply doesn't work. Braid biting in to the thin mono only weakens the (already light) leader...leading to the potential for failure. Cheers, BN

19 minutes ago, big Neil said:

G'day Chris, I use the FG on my baitcasters but I'm fishing with 20-50 lb braid and 30- 40lb leader, where it is the lowest profile knot for casting accuracy and doesn't fail. However I won't use it for the application that you're using as it simply doesn't work. Braid biting in to the thin mono only weakens the (already light) leader...leading to the potential for failure. Cheers, BN

Hi Neil,

Thanks Mate, I suspected this might be the case for lighter lines.

There is a website run by a guy in Newcastle-he has lots of testing equipment and tests knots/lines etc Paulus Fishing its called-interesting how he compares knot strength-its a bit eyeopening- and one of the reasons I can be bothered with FG's and PR's , nothing like data in my mind

4 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

There is a website run by a guy in Newcastle-he has lots of testing equipment and tests knots/lines etc Paulus Fishing its called-interesting how he compares knot strength-its a bit eyeopening- and one of the reasons I can be bothered with FG's and PR's , nothing like data in my mind

Hey PaddyT,

Ok Mate, I'll check it out.

Cheers, Chris

5 hours ago, PaddyT said:

One of Sydneys best kingfish guides doesnt bother with the FG even on heavy gear and he catches plenty. Other alternative if you have to use a long leader then just retie every couple of hours. 

Are we talking about belting out long distance casts here? Fishing out of a boat where you are lowering baits, dropping in lures or mildly flicking them might be ok. I've found albrights in the heavier classes, say 50lb braid to 100lb leader and up will catch repeatedly on the first or second guide from the reel and cause all sorts of horrid tangles. FG all the way for the heavy stuff. 30lb braid to 60lb leader and down etc I've never had a problem with albrights. 

40 minutes ago, Saboo said:

Are we talking about belting out long distance casts here? Fishing out of a boat where you are lowering baits, dropping in lures or mildly flicking them might be ok. I've found albrights in the heavier classes, say 50lb braid to 100lb leader and up will catch repeatedly on the first or second guide from the reel and cause all sorts of horrid tangles. FG all the way for the heavy stuff. 30lb braid to 60lb leader and down etc I've never had a problem with albrights. 

Cheers for the info Mate.

Really trying to assess if the FG knot in the below 10lb category is better that the modified albright knot.

It seems that for the light stuff the FG isn't suitable.

As you said though, for heavier stuff its probably the way to go.

Cheers,

Chris

I use an improved/modified Albright on all my lines and never had a drama except for sloppy workmanship (my bad). Even on my 6-8lb and it works well. The FG knot is certainly a strong and slimmer knot and I guess it's one to add to the arsenal but whatever works for you! I can tied an Albright on a kayak with 30knot winds in no time at all. I guess, just pick one and do it well! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

2 hours ago, Scratchie said:

I use an improved/modified Albright on all my lines and never had a drama except for sloppy workmanship (my bad). Even on my 6-8lb and it works well. The FG knot is certainly a strong and slimmer knot and I guess it's one to add to the arsenal but whatever works for you! I can tied an Albright on a kayak with 30knot winds in no time at all. I guess, just pick one and do it well! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Hey Scratchie,

Yeah true Mate.

interesting you say Albright on all your lines...Judging from some of the big fish you've caught, that's good enough for me.

Like I said, I've never had one fail, so it is a good knot.

And yes, I can tie the Albright very quickly now.

Out of interest, for your lighter and heavier lines, how many wraps respectively do you do?

Cheers, Chris

Edited by foolforjesus

2 hours ago, foolforjesus said:

Hey Scratchie,

Yeah true Mate.

interesting you say Albright on all your lines...Judging from some of the big fish you've caught, that's good enough for me.

Like I said, I've never had one fail, so it is a good knot.

And yes, I can tie the Albright very quickly now.

Out of interest, for your lighter and heavier lines, how many wraps respectively do you do?

Cheers, Chris

I only ever do, 6 wraps one way and 6 the other with 3 times through the loop! 

16 hours ago, Saboo said:

65 lb braid to 80lb leader-person im referring to also caught a 38kg king in NZ last year - still used the mod albright. I accept that the FG doesnt crash into the guides like an albright but I dont accept that its any stronger- and because its a more complicated knot their is more chance of it going wrong. My solution for long casting is to use a shorter leader and not wind it through the guides- the FG knot will fatigue through casting damage anyway. Nothing is perfect in the fishing world!

1 hour ago, PaddyT said:

65 lb braid to 80lb leader-person im referring to also caught a 38kg king in NZ last year - still used the mod albright. I accept that the FG doesnt crash into the guides like an albright but I dont accept that its any stronger- and because its a more complicated knot their is more chance of it going wrong. My solution for long casting is to use a shorter leader and not wind it through the guides- the FG knot will fatigue through casting damage anyway. Nothing is perfect in the fishing world!

Interesting Mate. My confidence in the Modified/Improved Albright is restored!

Cheers, Chris

13 minutes ago, foolforjesus said:

Ok cool. You say three times through the loop, do you mean you wrap the tag end three times around the loop before sinching up the knot?

Cheers, Chris

Yes mate! I also agree with PaddyT, that if your constantly casting then shorten your leader! 

40 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Yes mate! I also agree with PaddyT, that if your constantly casting then shorten your leader! 

A leader which is too short lowers your chances of catching a fish, and increases the chance of abrasion on the braid. I would think of a better solution such as an improved knot.

I like to run a leader of about a rod length and have the knot just off the spool when casting. 

4 minutes ago, Roylo said:

A leader which is too short lowers your chances of catching a fish, and increases the chance of abrasion on the braid. I would think of a better solution such as an improved knot.

I like to run a leader of about a rod length and have the knot just off the spool when casting. 

Fair call. I do that to sometimes when flicking sps. But if I'm using heavier gear casting spinners or poppers all day then I use half that and don't let the knot go through the guide!