Gun "new" freshwater bait

Mr Mullit

On a recent bass trip we stopped mid morning for a break and a bit of lunch and a carp fish off the bank. As I'm  getting my corn out my mate says "try these i reckon they'll work. " and handed me a container of MEALWORMS. Well what a session,  carp,bass and grayling one after another. Reckon the mullet would've  eaten them too but they were a no show. What a great bait. Hardier and easier to keep than worms (they don't sweat ) and they're cheap at the pet shop. Thought I'd share. 

Matt

• Like 1

LOL. What are mealworms used for? Probably some sort of food for pet lizards or amphibians? Thanks for passing on the info Mr, Mullit. Here's another one for Bass, Carp and Mullet...GRASSHOPPERS lightly hooked through the base of their body and cast out unweighted to float on the surface. MAD BAIT. BN

47 minutes ago, big Neil said:

LOL. What are mealworms used for? Probably some sort of food for pet lizards or amphibians? Thanks for passing on the info Mr, Mullit. Here's another one for Bass, Carp and Mullet...GRASSHOPPERS lightly hooked through the base of their body and cast out unweighted to float on the surface. MAD BAIT. BN

Agree. Grasshoppers (or flies (not so easy to catch)) on unweighted hook  under float in the river or streams. I used to store grasshoppers in the match box without legs so they did not jump out. 

3 hours ago, savit said:

Agree. Grasshoppers (or flies (not so easy to catch)) on unweighted hook  under float in the river or streams. I used to store grasshoppers in the match box without legs so they did not jump out. 

That's dedication Savit, keeping them in a matchbox. Cheers, Neil

1 hour ago, Mr Mullit said:

to sit down and pull the legs off grasshoppers so they won't jump out of a matchbox is dedication. Clear?

Ah... OK. I thought something more than that might have been meant.

Insects are usually very good freshwater bait.  Though bugs (from my  experience) usually are not, even those that have soft shell or strong smell. I used a 5 cm straight piece of dry tree branch as a float so spooky fish did not run away when saw unusual objects falling into the water, and casted unweighted bait near tree branches or eddies.

• 2 years later...

I have used meal worms in fresh water cks down in south aussie with good results on trout up in the Adelaide hills a tip given to me buy an old guy was to half hitch a sugar cube to your line cast it out suger hits the water and melts away bingo unweighted bait works a charm

On 2/23/2017 at 9:42 AM, Mr Mullit said:

On a recent bass trip we stopped mid morning for a break and a bit of lunch and a carp fish off the bank. As I'm  getting my corn out my mate says "try these i reckon they'll work. " and handed me a container of MEALWORMS. Well what a session,  carp,bass and grayling one after another. Reckon the mullet would've  eaten them too but they were a no show. What a great bait. Hardier and easier to keep than worms (they don't sweat ) and they're cheap at the pet shop. Thought I'd share. 

Matt

I'll take that onboard, have tried many baits that I never thought of but turned out to be good. Pet shop here sells them, I'll give em a crack in the future. Cheers. 😄