Box ticked: first fish on metals

Mike89

Headed out this afternoon to ping some metals off Little Manly.

I've been trying from a few spots to bag a salmon on a metal as I have yet to catch any fish on a metal lure.

Persistence paid off on my second cast today as I picked up this nice bonnie.

received_10158393878480085.jpeg

As we had the barbie already cooking with some snags this fella went straight onto the hot plate for a nice addition to our lunch.

Now for the salmon!

Cheers. Had another go this afternoon and hooked up to not one not two but SEVEN salmon off the rocks and didn't land a single one. A mate suggested switching the trebles for singles for salmon.

Was real close to landing the first one. Getting there though!

1 hour ago, Surfacejunky said:

Sounds like some big salmon mate! Good stuff

Most of them just unhooked themselves when they jumped out of the water. None busted me off - just don't think the trebles held very well with them.

@flatheadluke - Yep, it has begun.

3 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

Most of them just unhooked themselves when they jumped out of the water. None busted me off - just don't think the trebles held very well with them.

You could try a larger single hook. Looks like the lure is one of those solid blue pillie designs, about 15 grams, with the weight nearer the head.

I have had salmon throw the hooks a few times on those. I think it occurs because the lure is weighted more to the head, and when the salmon and tailor jump and shake their heads, the weight near the head is what allows the hook to come free from the mouth. The only other option is to reverse the lure and use the hook on the head section - might have to try it myself.

14 hours ago, Mike89 said:

As someone whos been throwing metal off the rocks for more years than I care to remember I will offer the following- 99 % of metal lures on the market come with crap hooks- . The tendency is to have heavy gauge trebles with ski jump sized barbs on them, i reckon the reason you drop fish is because you simply havent even got the hook into them , and even when you have the barb tears a larger hole in the fish so when you get any slackline  the hook just falls out. You can radically improve your landing rate by going to finer gauge chemically sharpened hooks treble or single. The other cheaper route is get out the file and get rid of most of the barb and make sure the tips are sharp enough to gouge your fingernail. Give it a try.

1 hour ago, PaddyT said:

As someone whos been throwing metal off the rocks for more years than I care to remember I will offer the following- 99 % of metal lures on the market come with crap hooks- . The tendency is to have heavy gauge trebles with ski jump sized barbs on them, i reckon the reason you drop fish is because you simply havent even got the hook into them , and even when you have the barb tears a larger hole in the fish so when you get any slackline  the hook just falls out. You can radically improve your landing rate by going to finer gauge chemically sharpened hooks treble or single. The other cheaper route is get out the file and get rid of most of the barb and make sure the tips are sharp enough to gouge your fingernail. Give it a try.

Thanks a lot for the advice there Paddy, much appreciated! I would agree with your assessment there. Looking at the trebles on these lures I really just can't imagine how you could get enough hook in them to keep the fish on firm save for lip-hooking them.

When payday comes around I'll get over to the toy store and pick up some new hooks. And replacements for all the lures I lost yesterday.

@big Neil Cheers for the kind words mate! Haha! When fishing I do normally dress like a dag (when bait-fishing especially)!

Thanks to others for the advice on hooks and landing the fish. Always helpful and appreciated!

Edited by Mike89

On 28/02/2017 at 11:51 AM, Mike89 said:

Thanks a lot for the advice there Paddy, much appreciated! I would agree with your assessment there. Looking at the trebles on these lures I really just can't imagine how you could get enough hook in them to keep the fish on firm save for lip-hooking them.

When payday comes around I'll get over to the toy store and pick up some new hooks. And replacements for all the lures I lost yesterday.

@big Neil Cheers for the kind words mate! Haha! When fishing I do normally dress like a dag (when bait-fishing especially)!

Thanks to others for the advice on hooks and landing the fish. Always helpful and appreciated!

I use 20 gram raiders or 15 gram bishops metal lure, have no problem hooking salmon, tailor or bonito on the standard treble hooks. Get the odd one jump off if hooks arent set. Standard trebles will do until you encounter bigger fish.