Nice King off the stones

REELCRAZY

After too many missed sessions from the supposed "80% chance of rain" today I said f#!k it and went.  Me and my "gaff man" hit the stones in the eastern suburbs just before 6am. 1.3 m swell from the east and a light breeze, start of the run in tide and clear skies. Cop that willy weather! 

Fished for squid without a touch until first light. Fishing my 25kg gear I Starting casting stick baits and poppers off a low ledge. Over the next hour I keep glancing at the east facing higher ledge that I love to fish, its getting hammered by big spray and wash, I just want to have a cast off it. 

So I rig up a Maria loaded stick bait with big single hooks, and head to the higher ledge. First cast... let it sink, few twitches, good hit no hook up.

third cast.... better hit,  no hook up, then another hit.. I'm on....no I'm not... yes I am..... no it's gone.  It's just mouthing the bait .

fourth cast... c'mon just eat it!! I'm pumped for a hook up now. And then boom, a solid take, I'm on, reel screaming on an already heavy drag, tighten her up and hang on.

Now I have lost a good few fish a meter + at this spot from shallow reef and the last time it happened  I said "next time I'm just going to lock up and go hard". So I did and  it paid off. Kept her high in the water column, let her run when she needed and as soon as a good wave came I locked up and lifted her on the lower part of the ledge, my mate grabs the leader (no gaff) and goes to lift her up the 1m to where we are standing. The leader breaks from the damage during the fight, and my mate comes up empty. We both watch as the retreating swell sucks the fish back into the drink. Oh no, but at least I saw it and it looked solid. And then another wave and we see the fish swept back on the lower ledge, then its gone again..... and then....u would not believe it. The swell pulls back and there it is, flapping on its side on the lower ledge, my gaff man jumps down, grabs it and races around back to high ground... what a legend! 

High fives and fist pumps followed until we got back to the cars. What a morning!

IMG_1208_JPG_c292e9edec69fe20c0676660574b0cf4.jpgIMG_1231_JPG_a25eabd8936e4410fbf39f881544caaa.jpg

2 minutes ago, mshuangchao said:

Congrats on the Kingie! Great report, and thanks for sharing!

Thanks mate, was actually thinking  about switching to a 15 g jig on the light gear to have a go at your technique before I saw some action 

Just now, REELCRAZY said:

Thanks mate, was actually thinking  about switching to a 15 g jig on the light gear to have a go at your technique before I saw some action 

My technique only works good for small pelagics like bonito and mac tuna, but big kings not so much, haha! 

26 minutes ago, mshuangchao said:

My technique only works good for small pelagics like bonito and mac tuna, but big kings not so much, haha! 

Correct mate, my lightest spin gear for the rocks  is 15lb so Bonnies etc would have been the intended target. Been meaning to give it a try 

Nice report and congrats on that fish!

I love that spot too, good washes, deep blue water and structures holding baits. I ve always been wondering how hard it would be to pull a decent king and you show us its makeable as long as you dont get reefed and then time the landing with a wave.

Hey what strenght of leader were you using to get it rubbed off all the way through?

Sadly I've lost probably three of my best fish to this day due to the same situation and not having a "gaff buddy" available. Can't believe you actually got him back! Haha great read. 

By the way did you get the stickbait back too!?

• 5 weeks later...

Excellent report! You must have pleased the fishing gods somehow to have your fish wash back up for you after having your leader chafed off.

Great work, beautiful fish you've landed there. Well done.