Soft plastics and current

Swaz

I've attached a drawing to help my question. Either in a boat or on the shore, which direction do you retrieve soft plastics when there is a current running? a is with the current b is against the current. Do fish predominately face against the current to nab smaller fish? I am mainly talking bread and butter fish here like flatties, bream, whiting, trevers etc.

20170305_101027.jpg

Guest Guest123456789

Great topic. Interested to hear others thoughts.

Me personally I fish with the current (point A on your diagram). This is for 2 main reasons.

1. The baitfish tend to swim with the current. Seems logical a lure swimming with the current will look more natural.

2. You can keep the lure on or near the bottom more easily. Think about it, what happens when you pull a kite against the breeze? You get lift. What happens when you pull a kite with the breeze? Unless you're running faster than the breeze the kite will drag along the ground.

if I were a fish, I'd be looking up current. That way I could strike and surprise the baitfish rather than have the chase it down with the current.

On 05/03/2017 at 10:46 AM, dirvin21 said:

on a boat I drift and cast ahead and retrieve against the current 

landbased I normally cast up current and work the lure back with the flow

the main aim is to keep the plastic near the bottom

+1 

i always cast ahead of the drifting boat! Casting behind the boat will give more lift and not keep the lure in the strike zone for as long! 

Cheers scratchie!!!