Spinning off the rocks

DMG

Hey there, just want to know if anyone here uses ready made snap swivel wire/cable traces when they spin.

I use these but i'm thinking maybe they spook the fish.so i'm going to go back to how i used rig up only with a snap swivel,no trace.

The reason i started using the wire cable traces in the first place was because surface fish have big sharp teeth and i found out a long time ago that they can bite your line off easy near the lure.

After a 5 hour spin session yesterday,my arms and back feel like ive been hit by a truck,with no result.

The conditions were perfect yesterday for surface fish and I know sometimes they just dont bite or your lure is not what they are chasing at the time but im starting to think the trace is spooking them.

What do you think ?

Thanks

yer i use a snap swivel so i can change lures quick and easy as for the wire trace i have lost fish in the past from teeth but since my post i did some research and yer it can spook the fish.

I have caught Spanish Mackeral off the rocks before many years ago off Clovelly point also know as Shark Point on Halco lures I think i was using a 40gran Crome Twisty.

From memory the fish were about just under a meter maybe 80cm and it was summer time at sunrise.

Although they like the warmer waters up North,maybe the warmer currents drifted down Sydney that year and they moved down with them but i did catch them.

Anyone else ever heard of or caught Spanyids off Sydney ?

Edited by DMG

This Guy knows it too.

His old post confirms what i said.

Spearer1

MACKEREL

MEMBERS

40 posts

Posted January 30, 2011 · Report post

Well done on the Spotty. One for the photo album for sure.

Believe it or not there are plenty of Spanish Mackeral getting about off Sydney beaches at the moment too. Taking one of them off Sydney would be awesome. I'm trying hard, but only getting bonito & kings. Hopefully my 30lb gear can handle one.

Edited by DMG

Yer bro mine were caught in the late 90s

must have been one of those years when the warmer currents drifted down south and brought the fish with it.

Haven't been spinning for years,got the urge again yesterday spun for 5 hours solid,lol got nothing and was a wreck after it sore all over.

Edited by DMG

I just watched a youtube video of this guy catching a 240 LB Yellow fin tuna off the rocks lol its awesome,a beast of a thing its the world record off the rocks.

I have ever only seen one follow my lure into shore then turn and run away after i lifted the lure out of the water,never saw it again.

That was at a place called The Trap off Sydneys South East.