Rewarded for craziness

recurve

When your the only boat at the ramp and the weather says a rain storm is coming you get the feeling your doing it wrong. So we waited to see if the rain would subside. It did, well enough for us to green light (Did not need much) We launched and the swell was way bigger than 1m on WillyWeather, was actually quite steep and rolling. Anchored up and got to work, whoa, we both felt sick straight up, only one way to cure that. Start fishing! First drop Snapper, not huge  but worth keeping. Also hooked a small Kingfish and had a good fight. Then my mate get a massive run and after an epic fight involving anchor rope tangles up comes a 69cm snapper. Even had a huge hunk of weed wrapped around it. As he pulled it toward my net I could see it was only just hooked on a wee thread of sinew. I am a rockstar netsman so I nabbed it and there was tremendous yelling and yaa hooing. 

Weather started to turn in so not long after that we headed back in, only one other keeper so 3 in total for 1.5 hours of effort. 

Sometimes being the only one launching is genius. Yesterday it was. 

Looking forward to snapper season. Here we go!

Wollongong. We anchored over reef using a reef anchor. Might have been hard to hold over sand. Was a lot of movement for sure. Your first season targeting snapper can be very frustrating. I find the difference between success and failure fishing in close and light with lures is incremental. Keep trying new ideas. and fish as light as you dare if you want to catch big snapper.

Or you can go deep and bounce big fresh baits. Both ways will work. I find light and shallow more fun and when you get a session on you can stay on it. 

Nice work on the fish mate. I went out looking for snapper too today but didn't do as well as you. I'm a little bit further south than you recurve and I got out in my yak for a couple of hours before lunch.  We didn't have much wind down here. Bit of swell but no chop.  Didn't do any good good on platics not even a sargeant baker but managed a small fish on the old unweighted occy leg out the back trick. There here! I'll be getting out a much as can. You're setting the pace. Matt

20170322_104143_resized_1.jpg