Plague of Bonnies and a PB Snapper

GoingFishing

Gday Raiders

Well its been a tough month, lots of rain and wind has essentially wasted what I would consider the best month for fishing off sydney, but hey we cant control the weather.

Checked the weather last night and was a little pessimistic, will we get rained on? Will the wind stay down? Having not been out for 6 weeks, the slightest chance of even a 2 hour fishing session was enough to motivate me to get out, and of course dad was happy to join.

The plan was to fish the northern beaches for a feed of flathead, on the way we threw out two lures as we passed north head and no more than 30 seconds later double hookup on Bonito, did another pass, another double hook up and im confident that had we thrown out three lures we would have got triple hookups. This continued for about an hour with 15 or so fish returned to the water, kept one around 60cm to be filletted and salted for bait strips. 

Moved onto the flathead grounds and started in 25m, working our way out to 50m for not a touch ! Where are the flatties ?? After three hours and not a single flatty onboard i did some impromptu research on other grounds in the area, and found one close by which was noted as "flathead, snapper and mulloway). Dad said what the heck lets give it a try so off we went.

A couple of drifts in the area with not much to show when dads rod buckled over and went for a good screaming run. A good fight ensued and shortly after dad boated his PB snapper of 68cm. The smile says it all ! Cought on a salted striped tuna fillet on a paternoster rig.

On the way back trolled some more lures and enocuntered the plague of Bonito off Sydney Heads with another 10 or so returned to the water. 

All in all a great day out and the Bonito kept us entertained with a bend in our rods and the lone snapper as the icing on the cake.

thanks for reading

Sam

image.jpeg

Great Snapper there for your Dad, and a PB too ..

Love it when the Bonnies are on like that,  

I never ever got tired of catching and releasing them, absolute excitement machines on light lines .. 4kg and lower ...

I really really miss that type of action ....

Great read ..

Cheers Sam and Sam's Dad ....

Great_White

23 hours ago, Rock&Beach said:

Great report mate. That's a nice snapper. Bonnies are great fun. Great eating to.  My boys say chicken of the sea.?Cheers R&B

Thanks mate, them bonnies are great fun when theyre around and the bigger ones give a great account for themselves!

21 hours ago, big Neil said:

Well done Sam and Dad. Very nice Snapper there to accompany the fun hauling in Bonito. Cheers. Neil

Cheers mate thanks

12 hours ago, Great_White said:

Great Snapper there for your Dad, and a PB too ..

Love it when the Bonnies are on like that,  

I never ever got tired of catching and releasing them, absolute excitement machines on light lines .. 4kg and lower ...

I really really miss that type of action ....

Great read ..

Cheers Sam and Sam's Dad ....

Great_White

Cheers mate, dont we wish this type of fishing lasted all year !

9 hours ago, Thekoi said:

Good report mate I also drifted a good flat head spot which usually produces instantly but proved tough but 50 to 55 mtr of water kept 3 or 4 

Thanks mate, where abouts do you drift for flathead is it along the northern beaches ?

4 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Nice one Sam! I'll take that snapper over 10 bonito anytime! But your right, on a quiet day bonito can at least keep you interested!!!

cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks scratchie after that rain to be honest im just glad to get, any fish would just be a bonus.

5 hours ago, GordoRetired said:

Quick question, what lures did you use for the Bonnies? I was out yesterday and tried both bullet head's and bibed hard body Rapala's around North Head. Caught Bonnies on both but in 2 hours + of trolling only picked up 3.

Thanks all for your comments we had the snapper oven baked yesterday with nuts chilli and herbs it was fantastic

gordo i use thr trusty christmas tree and an Xrap in sardine