Port Hacking = mixed catch

Yowie

Before I headed out this morning, I threw out a line  at my mother's place and picked up the bream. There have been a few good ones about lately.

Headed out to the deep water up past Lilli Pilli. Picked up the tailor and flounder on strip baits. Flounder is a bit small, was going back but it had 2 ganged hooks in it's mouth and gills and was not looking too healthy. Bitten off by a few tailor as well. Plenty of reddies, but all just under sized.

When the tide stopped, I headed to Maianbar to pump some nippers, then the wind turned to the south. 3 flatties pulled out but only 1 legal. While I was standing in water half way up my shins, the jacket followed a nipper until it was beside my feet. The hook was too big to hook it, and when It had nearly eaten all the nipper, and not been hooked after a few attempts, I grabbed it near the tail and dropped it into the boat. A different way of catching it.fish.jpeg.100.png

A lot of time for not a lot of fish., though happy with the size of the bream.

2 hours ago, Wellzy94 said:

Good bag mate!

Let me know next time you go out so I can follow you around ;)

Cheers,

Wellzy

I think you could fish right beside Yowie and he'll still catch all the fish.

1 hour ago, Fab1 said:

I think you could fish right beside Yowie and he'll still catch all the fish.

That reminds me of a fishing outing many years ago, when a mate's father wanted to catch a few jewies ( when the jewies were biting big time in the Hacking)

He kept wanting to go fishing, so I took him to the jewie spot, let him use one of my lines, hooked up the bait and cast out (handlines only) and I fished at my end of the boat (about 6 foot apart).

I pulled up a few jewies, and he caught nothing. He complained about everything and wanted to swap sides, so we did. I fished at the front of the boat and used his line and he used my line at the rear of the boat. I caught more fish and he caught nothing again, no bites at all. Took him home and he never wanted to go fishing again. :lol:

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

That reminds me of a fishing outing many years ago, when a mate's father wanted to catch a few jewies ( when the jewies were biting big time in the Hacking)

He kept wanting to go fishing, so I took him to the jewie spot, let him use one of my lines, hooked up the bait and cast out (handlines only) and I fished at my end of the boat (about 6 foot apart).

I pulled up a few jewies, and he caught nothing. He complained about everything and wanted to swap sides, so we did. I fished at the front of the boat and used his line and he used my line at the rear of the boat. I caught more fish and he caught nothing again, no bites at all. Took him home and he never wanted to go fishing again. :lol:

I don't blame him.

On 19 April 2017 at 7:51 PM, Yowie said:

This happens alot when i take friends out for a fish, they would using the same bait, some hook size/tackle and id be catching most of the fish

there are so many variables that can make a big differrnce !! How the bait is presented on the hook, how much slack line is left out/angle back to boat etc etc 

14 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

This happens alot when i take friends out for a fish, they would using the same bait, some hook size/tackle and id be catching most of the fish

there are so many variables that can make a big differrnce !! How the bait is presented on the hook, how much slack line is left out/angle back to boat etc etc 

Yes, there are a few techniques that do help. Does take a while to learn them by trial and error.