Overhead combo for deep bottom bashing - suggestions

Wellzy94

Hey all,

I'm looking at switching from an eggbeater to an overhead setup for bottom bashing in 80m+ of water. Normally using 3/4 - 1lb sinkers and my toothpick arms can't handle the constant winding in to check baits, haul in fish etc. Any recommendations on a good budget overhead combo (<$150 preferably)?

The big fishing store near me has an Abu Garcia GT combo for $145, has anyone used it? 6', 8-12kg with a GT20L reel.

Cheers,

Wellzy

Also at that price i wouldnt expect it to last but i could be wrong! (A great set of rod guides will cost you more than that whole combo lol.

but they will last!

i try to buy something once so want quality!

id be heavily increasing the budget even if it takes longer to get it, in the long run youll save $ and also have option to sell at good prices if you look after it.

JonD had a lovely and top quality small overhead for sale not too long ago, i was going to buy it but its a right hand wind where i prefer left, maybe see if he still has it!

2 hours ago, Hooked-Up said:

Cant offer advice on gear mate but am curious why overhead will be easier than spin in deeper water?

is it just the physical weight being lighter or a gear ratio thing?

Overheads are more mechanically efficient than eggbeaters, ie it is easier to wind in line under pressure. I actually use mine as a winch when bottom bashing with braid, ie I don't pump and wind to bring in a fish, just wind slowly. It leads to a lot less pulled hooks (remember the boat is going up and down on swells as well).

Edited by kingfishbig

1 hour ago, Wellzy94 said:

Does anybody have any advice? I don't want to spend money on something that's not going to last. If you recommend something highly I can increase my budget to suit.

Cheers,

Wellzy

Maybe you price limit is putting people off. A good quality second hand outfit might be the go and better than something new but cheap and nasty. A level wind reel would be preferable. The Shimano Charter Special 2000 is popular. Also the ABU 7000 is effective for this sort of fishing are there are plenty of second hand ones for sale.

52 minutes ago, kingfishbig said:

Overheads are more mechanically efficient than eggbeaters, ie it is easier to wind in line under pressure. I actually use mine as a winch when bottom bashing with braid, ie I don't pump and wind to bring in a fish, just wind slowly. It leads to a lot less pulled hooks (remember the boat is going up und down on swells as well).

Cheers mate, sounds like good technique.

bit like slow jigging fight by the sound of it!

something i wanna try, those rods and reels look like fun!

On 20 April 2017 at 10:14 AM, Wellzy94 said:

Hey all,

I'm looking at switching from an eggbeater to an overhead setup for bottom bashing in 80m+ of water. Normally using 3/4 - 1lb sinkers and my toothpick arms can't handle the constant winding in to check baits, haul in fish etc. Any recommendations on a good budget overhead combo (<$150 preferably)?

The big fishing store near me has an Abu Garcia GT combo for $145, has anyone used it? 6', 8-12kg with a GT20L reel.

Cheers,

Wellzy

Hey Wellzy

You could get yourself a nice PENN combo for that price range and theyre great for bottom bashing. If you take care of them regularly they will last you at least 5 years so theyre great value for money. 

Bottom bashing is pretty intense on the gear (heavy weights and lots of winding) so whichever brand you go with dont expect them to last forever !!

4 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Hey Wellzy

You could get yourself a nice PENN combo for that price range and theyre great for bottom bashing. If you take care of them regularly they will last you at least 5 years so theyre great value for money. 

Bottom bashing is pretty intense on the gear (heavy weights and lots of winding) so whichever brand you go with dont expect them to last forever !!

Hey mate,

Any rough idea of pricing for one that'll last (if I look after it) for a decent amount of time? Won't be used hugely often.