Hydrofoils

Baitmeup

G'day. I'm only new to boating and just purchased my first boat a 4.2m tinny with a 30hp 2 stroke. It has manual trim adjust by moving a pin at the back of the motor. I've been experimenting with different trim positions etc. I have read advertising jargon about hydrofoils and how much they improve anti-cav blah blah. My question is should I believe the hype?? or should I just learn how to make my setup work without one?

any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Cheers for that Rick, I do plan to do a fair bit on my own. I'm happy to fork out the $$ for one if they work as claimed I just wasn't sure if it was just a gimmick so your information was helpful.

thanks.

I had one on my old 4.3mtr dinghy with a Johnson 25hp but when i swapped to a 2007 Mercury 25hp it didnt have one, did i notice a difference, not really, they both planed about the same

But it could be that the 1981 Johnson was tired and old and the foil helped the old motor and the newer 2007 mercury would have performed even better with the foil.

My friend has one  (SE Sports) on his fiberglass 16ft bowrider with a 115hp Yamaha and and he swears it has made a difference especially to lower speed planning which helps with vision and fuel economy.

I have thought about sticking one on my motor, but haven't go round to it.

Thanks everybody for your comments. Its kind of hard to make a decision either way right now I'm thinking. I guess all i can do is try it and see what happens by the looks of things. Live and learn is the motto, cheers fishraiders for taking the time to respond ?