Mid week mission

Toilor

Gday Raiders

Set out on a mission of somewhat epic proportions into the wilderness near the Snowy Mountains today planning to cover as much water as possible.  Slow start for myself with my mate carrying the candle early landing 4 good fish to my 1 in the first hour.  Lots of what we call "pilchards" including some really small ones around 10cm.  Finally got my mojo back and we each ended up catching around 25 rainbow trout for the day.  Fortunate enough to catch 2 Macquarie Perch around 33cm each which is really unusual in this stream both released in immaculate condition.  I am happy to keep a feed of trout as I believe the Perch and Blackfish appreciate and deserve a bit of breathing space with ravenous rainbows eating everything that moves.

Tight lines

Toilor

Ozzybass

Wow!  That's a pretty big Macq.  What did you catch it on?

Caught on Rapala F5 Brook Trout, the fish followed the lure right to the bank and hit just as the lure was about to float to the surface.  

Also spotted 2 x 15cm maccas so at least some breeding I hope.  Must be hard work for them with large numbers of Rainbows to at least 57cm and a few Browns to 62cm plus.  I guess their eating habits are quite different but I have occasionally found Blackfish inside larger trout.

I've spoken to the local rangers and they are definitely aware of the population.  They told me the stream has not been stocked with trout for over a decade but given the population and the range of sizes of trout I wouldn't be surprised if there was some vigilante stocking going on.  I do worry that fishing could be prohibited or access made harder, although I believe it would be counter productive as trout numbers would increase.  It is 45 mins on mountain bike to the water and 2 hours upstream to where I caught this fish so only enthusiastic and hopefully thoughtful fisherman may encounter them.