Squid Casting

marks1984

Hey all,

My brother and I will be beach fishing one weekend coming up what is the best way to cast your rig while using live squid or super fresh squid? Dose anyone recommend casting squid like this? And what type of rig should I be using?

Guest Guest123456789

Best way would be a grapnel sinker and slide bait rig, though I've never done it myself.

Failing that I'd use a sliding snell knot rig on a fairly short trace connected to a swivel. On the mainline I'd have a running sinker, easiet way is just a swivel that runs along the line and you connect the free eye to a sinker with a simple dropper loop knot. You can use circle hooks and set the drag real light. When you here line peeling off just tighten the drag and slowly lift you rod tip (don't strike).

the shorter the trace the closer the squid will be to your sinker and the longer you can cast. You won't be able to cast very far though so you'll need to locat a nice gutter in close.

IMG_1761.JPG

Could try a pulley rig as well. You want your sinker as close as possible to the bait during the cast then allow them to spread as far apart as possible once settled.

Beaches are going off at the moment, went out Thursday night on the low tide and got a bag of tailor, few big flatties and a few big runs that got away.

19 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Best way would be a grapnel sinker and slide bait rig, though I've never done it myself.

Failing that I'd use a sliding snell knot rig on a fairly short trace connected to a swivel. On the mainline I'd have a running sinker, easiet way is just a swivel that runs along the line and you connect the free eye to a sinker with a simple dropper loop knot. You can use circle hooks and set the drag real light. When you here line peeling off just tighten the drag and slowly lift you rod tip (don't strike).

the shorter the trace the closer the squid will be to your sinker and the longer you can cast. You won't be able to cast very far though so you'll need to locat a nice gutter in close.

IMG_1761.JPG

Hey Luke, great diagram mate. Simple to follow, straight to the point. Good onya. BN

Depending on squid size and your objective, you could probably cut superfresh squid down. A half hood has the same profile as a whole squid but 1/4 of the weight. Thought this doesn't help with live squid