Poddy mullet in the surf

Howdoweplaythis

I have used alot of live bait off the beach and have caught a few good fish doing it. The problem is when tha salmon turn up they will engulf your hard earnt livies. And you'll be surprised just how big of a bait fish they will jam down their pie hole.

The other issue is casting them. If you lighly hook them, its pretty easy to cast them off. Hook them deep and they wont last long.

Legal tailor and 30cm mullet make better livies IMO! and i'm yet to have a salmon snavel one of those!

We use Poddy Mullet when we can get them.

We get them from a salt water river system near the shore in shallow water.

We use a bait trap and put some mashed up bread in the trap,then throw small amounts of bread near the trap to attract them close to the trap.

Yes they are great live bait and Yes they will work in the surf or any saltwater but keeping them alive is trick as they are small and fragile and can die of shock quit easy.

Sometimes you get your 20 limit,sometimes you get 1 or 2 on a bad day in a couple of hours,calm water no boats or whatever to scare them off is best places to get them.

On 2017-5-11 at 3:41 PM, blaxland said:

Id like to know how you catch you mullet? 

I use the home made bottle traps or the clear cylindrical traps that are commercially made. Bread as bait. My go to location is Narrabeen Lake for catching mullet. 

Thanks for the responses. I might give poddy mullet a go in the surf. If they die I suppose a butterflied mullet is still a good bait 

On ‎13‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 1:51 PM, Howdoweplaythis said:

I use the home made bottle traps or the clear cylindrical traps that are commercially made. Bread as bait. My go to location is Narrabeen Lake for catching mullet. 

Thanks for the responses. I might give poddy mullet a go in the surf. If they die I suppose a butterflied mullet is still a good bait 

The thing with poddy mullet is that you can only use them up to 15cms as Live bail only. You can not be in posession of dead mullet under 30cms, and cannot be in possesion of any mullet between 15-30cms.

The rules are a bit crazy and convoluted. but thems the rules

25 minutes ago, outdoordan said:

The thing with poddy mullet is that you can only use them up to 15cms as Live bail only. You can not be in posession of dead mullet under 30cms, and cannot be in possesion of any mullet between 15-30cms.

The rules are a bit crazy and convoluted. but thems the rules

I understand that poddy mullet are for live bait only, but what do you do if it dies on the hook?

I've fished with them in the surf. They cast better and survive better if you lip hook them. Use a wide gape hook and insert the point under the lower lip and out through the upper lip.

Matt