Lost Anchor retrieval botany bay - Urgent

Mojo4fishin

good day all.

i was out today in Botany bay, neat the oil drums, anchored and fishing for about 45 mins , when we decided to move to another spot, i have a electric which , upon retrieval the anchor got stuck in about 14m  of water, i tried to pull up a number of different way, but it didn't release , and in the end i had to cut the rope and lead.

i was wondering if anyone is a diver and can retrieve for me? I'm happy to pay or do you does any one know of some that can do this for me?

thanks in advance 

Mo

Edited by Mojo4fishin

3 hours ago, fragmeister said:

Hey Mo,

Is this a special anchor?

...just a little curious why you wouldn't  just buy one. They are only about $40 for the average size boat.

Cheers

Jim

hello SIr,

To replace this is about $380, if it can not be retrieved then I will have to replace it, but just thought I would ask anyway.

I've always wondered what happens to these abandoned anchors. I have had to cut mine off once as I had no choice in the end. There was no way I could free it. I cut it as low as I possibly could.

How easy is it for a boat passing by one of these floating anchor ropes to get caught up and wind around the prop and pull the rear down, drowning the boat and getting the biggest whiplash ever seen if you are going at any speed.

most ropes end up sinking after being in water for a while..i do a fair bit spearing and chasing crays and find heaps of anchors..most times I leave them near boat ramp for whoever piks them up....I use very specific anchors so I don't keep any....the amount on some bait grounds would amaze you...hope you can get yours back..rick

I don't know the area, what's the clarity and current normally like? If it were down here we love the challenge of finding people's anchors, Unfortunatly I don't have any plans to head up soon. 

I do have a contact who may help out, I will check to see what he says ( he would need to head there in your boat though ).

There's got to be more abandoned anchors in the bottom of Botany Bay than there are in the entire a shop chain.

I was told that the reason it's so easy to snag is because ships used to (or maybe still do?) drop their chains upon departure from the port - or maybe coming in, I forgot, but once your anchor gets stuck in a giant chain link it's as good as gone.

On a side note here's a funny story:  A few months ago my mate and I were trolling about 50m off from the rocks between North Head and Blue Fish pt when suddenly the reel on the rod that had a skirt lure starts screaming.  I backed off and my mate starts reeling it in, 15-25kg rod bending over and my mates fighting it like mad we're thinking we've hooked up a good sized kingy....when after about a minute of that all of a sudden a white rope appears out of the blue! So I gaffed it up and started pulling it in, 50 meters of rope later up comes up a chain and an anchor!  W.T.F. 

Anyway we had a good laugh, but bloody lucky it ended up on the lure and not wrapped around the prop. Drifting around powerless in the swell 50m off the rocks would have been hairy AF.  I'm still baffled on how and why it someone abandoned it there.

Edited by Smasher

On 22/05/2017 at 2:04 PM, Mojo4fishin said:

hello SIr,

To replace this is about $380, if it can not be retrieved then I will have to replace it, but just thought I would ask anyway.

Got it.... you learn something everyday!

I hope it works out for you.

Just for my edification... can you upload a picture of what this anchor looks like. I am very curious now!

Cheers

Jim

On 26/05/2017 at 5:01 PM, fragmeister said:

Got it.... you learn something everyday!

I hope it works out for you.

Just for my edification... can you upload a picture of what this anchor looks like. I am very curious now!

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim,.

From what i can see its not a special anchor the anchor i have lost is a Sarca Anchor. when i rang the marine shop to get a quote they advised me $310.00 for anchor , chain and swivel only,  rope wasn't included as the want to check it out first, and replace if needed. then plus labour as I'm no expert to fitting this so i was going to leave it to the pros.....

i have found a bloke who is going to check for me so fingers crossed its found.

i will keep you updated.

Regards

Mo

On 24/05/2017 at 2:30 PM, JonD said:

I don't know the area, what's the clarity and current normally like? If it were down here we love the challenge of finding people's anchors, Unfortunatly I don't have any plans to head up soon. 

I do have a contact who may help out, I will check to see what he says ( he would need to head there in your boat though ).

JonD, thank you for the offer i have found someone that is will to help.

19 hours ago, Mojo4fishin said:

Gents,

Anchor has been retrieved YAY  :banana:

:1worthy: to the true gentleman that offered to help to receive it for me.

thanks all for you assistance.

regards

Mo

Sweet!   What a champ.