Looking for input on choosing new setup

RustInPiece

Hey guys new to the forum and am looking at setting up a new rod and reel.

originally I wanted to go a NS Black Hole Amped C602L (2-8lb) or C602M (6-12lb) with either a 13 Fishing Concept A or Abu Garcia Revo 3 Inshore with 10lb braid as main line but after googling apparently fine braid isn't good to run on baitcasters? This would be my first baitcaster and have always wanted to try one...

so now I'm looking at the good old spin gear and thinking the Amped 7' 2-6 2pc rod and a Diawa Gen black 2000 size reel with 8-10lb braid... any other suggestions (rod & reel)for around that $450 mark give or take?

this will be mainly used for chasing bass and yellas in Dams from boats and kayaks with the occasional small-medium Toga.

primally cast 3/8 oz spinnerbaits, chatterbaits and 50-60mm hard bodies although I wouldn't mind playing with soft plastics and blades/vibes more often.

i like 2pc rods for ease of transporting.

Rod I am replacing is a shimano Jungle Stix 3-6kg with a Daiwa Arid spin reel loaded with 10lb braid, has worked well and will be put on back up/bait duties.

sorry about all the words, looking to solve my over thinking and learn a few things on the forum.

thanks, RIP.

Hi RIP and welcome to Fishraider. Rather than suggest a particular rod /reel for the type of fishing intended, I'd like to suggest that the gear which you have is pretty much ideal for your needs, as your second rod. Get a 3-6kg baitcaster set up, load it with mono backing and 20 lb braid joined to a 12 lb fluro leader. If you don't already use it, join the 2 lines with an FG knot and practice using the gear in the garden. Now 20 lb braid seems like overkill, but it is plenty strong enough for the target species and will still cast easily into those snags.

I fish for Murray Cod with baitcasters and it's great fun. You can learn all you need to know about how to use them as well as the FG knot from Youtube. You won't need to spend too much money on this type of gear. Let me know if you have any other questions. Neil

So just an update here is what I ended up doing...

for my new bass/yells rod I went with a Diawa Gen black wicked weasel spin rod (2-6kg) and paired that with a Diawa Gen Black 2500 reel...

and.... thought why the hell not and got a Abu Garcia Salty Stage 4-8kg 1pc baitcaster and the Revo 3 Inshore, plan to use this for cod/Barra even though I bought a shimano raider and stradic for that and haven't used it yet...

lucky the missus wont won't see the bill!

12 hours ago, RustInPiece said:

So just an update here is what I ended up doing...

for my new bass/yells rod I went with a Diawa Gen black wicked weasel spin rod (2-6kg) and paired that with a Diawa Gen Black 2500 reel...

and.... thought why the hell not and got a Abu Garcia Salty Stage 4-8kg 1pc baitcaster and the Revo 3 Inshore, plan to use this for cod/Barra even though I bought a shimano raider and stradic for that and haven't used it yet...

lucky the missus wont won't see the bill!

Right now you've got the gear get out there and catch some fish. Looking forward to your posts mate. Good luck. BN

10 hours ago, big Neil said:

Right now you've got the gear get out there and catch some fish. Looking forward to your posts mate. Good luck. BN

Oh mate I'm having serious withdrawals being that my last decent fish was the Boondoomba comp in Feb....

hopefully get to get out and do a lot more over the new few months.

12 hours ago, Wellzy94 said:

I'm hoping to have the extra money someday to get a wicked weasel... It'd be my bass rod too! Good choice.

Cheers,

Wellzy

Originally thought I'd never spend more than $150 on a rod... looks the goods though. Keen to catch some fish with it!

I have 2 wild weasels, paired with shimano Raerniun 3000 ci4+ reels and 5 lb Fins 40 g braid. Breaks at around 20lb. 12 to 16 lb leader and an FG knot . A must with the micro guides.  They are my Jewfish outfits. Hope to get some on the morning low this week.!!!!!!    The season has started, but iv'e had the Flu.    Great rods.  I fish them hard.   Howard.