Sounder for kayak

Regan

hello raiders,

i am just wanting some help on getting a new sounder for my hobie,

i dont want to pay too much but still want a half decent one.

all help would be greatly appreciated

7 hours ago, Lungfai76 said:

How much is too much?

He bought a hobie, I'm sure a few hundred extra is no biggie! ;)

Lungfai has a good question, and another to add to it - Do you want something that's purely a sounder unit, or a sounder+GPS?

52 minutes ago, Wellzy94 said:

He bought a hobie, I'm sure a few hundred extra is no biggie! ;)

After buying the Hobie he is licking his wounds in the dog house ? I can imagine the conversation.

"Honey I bought a Kayak"

"That's nice dear, did it cost much?"

"Only 3k babes"

"3k!!! For a F ing plastic boat?!!!"

Boom ?

Hi Regan,

My advice is take a reasonable bit of time and do lots of research and not an impulsive buy. Can you clarify what you have in mind for it (river fishing, harbour, ocean). Will you need a GPS to find waypoints? How big do you want the screen and how much detail?

I have a Fishfinder on my 2010 Hobie Revolution 13 and I had to work a few things out. As mine is an older model I don't have an under the hull pocket for my transducer so I had to use a through the hull set-up. As I didn't want interference from the Hobie drive I have located my transducer between the drive pocket and the mast pole (transducer length had to fit). I went with a Humminbird 587 ci HD which has a Sonar, Down imaging and GPS. The mounting bracket is permanently connected to the power and transducer so I had to work out a way to bring the cables out from inside the hull and where to store it when not in use. I am still pretty pleased with the way it turned out as I didn't have to do any drilling through the hull. The shopping list for my set up (and it shouldn't be too different for you) is as follows:

1x Fishfinder – Suggest one with Sonar (83kHz/200kHz) and Down imaging (455/800kHz) and GPS. The Lowrance Hook 4 combo is one possibility.

1x Ram Fishfinder Mounting kit  - Talk to your Hobie dealer

1x Ram ball mast mount to match mounting kit – Hobie Dealer

1x tube of Goop – Hobie Dealer

1x foam transducer pocket (makes a dam in which to pour the heated up Goop for through hull setup) – Hobie Dealer

1x Battery holder for rear hatch (Hobie now do fit for purpose but I prefer my option using the Hobie compartment storage box with a couple of the dividers trimmed out as it is sealed from water)

1x U-bolt Ram ball (for storing mounting kit in kayak when not in use) – Agent for RAM gear

1x fuse holder and rated fuse (see fishfinder manual) – Jay car

1x extension power cables to reach battery – Jay car

1x Heat shrink tube to protect joins of Fishfinder power cable to extension power cable

Some cable ties for cleaning up loose cables

1x SLA Battery probably 12V 7.2Ah (lasts me at least a 10 hour straight session)

1x smart charger for above battery

Some time to install it all. Watch that you don't get bubbles underneath the transducer. BTW for most of my fishing from the kayak I don't think it has improved my catch rate (in summer we watch for the birds to chase the schools - no sounder required) but it has given me a lot of learning time and I bought a system I can easily switch between the kayak and boat (I use the same head unit for both) so no regrets.

Regards,

Derek

Edited by DerekD

Regan,

By the time you get all the other items on the shopping list and take the time to install it a savings of $300 to $400 between the bottom of the range sounder and a mid level sounder isn't that much. A sounder isn't a I need it now or I'll die proposition or won't catch fish. If you are going to do it then it will be more trouble doing it twice to get what you decide you really need. Enjoy the kayak now and save up for a few months for a mid range sounder. Mine was a boat show special and that usually takes place in August. If you have done your research you can go to the different stands compare and purchase before the end of the day.

Regards.

Derek

I agree with the above essay by derek :P gluing the bastard in is a b#@$%, deciding to take it out is far far worse. I would suggest (if you're installing through hull) that your first attempt be with sikaflex or silastic, not goop. If you stuff it (which people do, including myself) those products are easy to remove, goop is not. Then second attempt you have the know how and confidence to do it with goop.

As for a sounder, i have a hook 4 gps combo and love it.  Nice clarity, practical screen size without costing a fortune, and the gps is very practical for finding marks or taking bait schools. Assuming the 3x users the same sounder tech then it would be good, i would suggest thinking about screen size, whether you want gps, and whether that unit has a color screen or downscan. 

5 hours ago, krause said:

As for a sounder, i have a hook 4 gps combo and love it.  Nice clarity, practical screen size without costing a fortune, and the gps is very practical for finding marks or taking bait schools. Assuming the 3x users the same sounder tech then it would be good, i would suggest thinking about screen size, whether you want gps, and whether that unit has a color screen or downscan. 

does the hook 4 have a gps on it

yeah regan they are a combo you can have either or both on screen....I have two hds5 units in my vsea and im goin to use the combo in my yak as I have spare trans and my power is set up with plugs so I can change quickly...my units are set in a board in boat so I have spare mounts for the yak...I will silicon my trans in hull near hatch so its not under hull as I crash paddle over logs in my fave creeks..keep an eye out for a used unit in a hds5 or elite5..rick