Yowie

5 hours ago, Blackfish said:

Now this is my last guess

Parasccyllium ferrugineum or Asymbolis analis

So many Catsharks, so little time :D

No and No.

Was not slim like a catshark.

20 hours ago, DaveTheBoy said:

Body shape is fairly similar. The black spots were fairly similar in size and jet black in colour.

The colour was a darker yellow. To use an Aussie saying, "It stuck out like dog's balls" in the water.

Had a look through the Stegosoma family and could not find any yellow colouring mentioned. The Zebra shark is a grey/light brown colour.

9 hours ago, Yowie said:

Yes. 14 foot tinny with a 15 HP motor. Don't head outside too far.

So for a tinny to head into open water what is required as far as safety equipment goes??

I got hastled for being past the open water line in botany bay by waterways a while ago & had what I thought was the right gear for being within 2km.

12 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

So for a tinny to head into open water what is required as far as safety equipment goes??

I got hastled for being past the open water line in botany bay by waterways a while ago & had what I thought was the right gear for being within 2km.

I have a bag with what is required regarding the regulations. I would be within the 2km mark of the shoreline, as that is where I can locate a few fish.

Leopard sharks are a type of cat shark. there are many types some with perfect small round spots all over top/side usually black and look the similar to leopard shark in shape there are a few different species 

IMG_0025.JPG

Edited by PPSGT

7 hours ago, PPSGT said:

Leopard sharks are a type of cat shark. there are many types some with perfect small round spots all over top/side usually black and look the similar to leopard shark in shape there are a few different species 

IMG_0025.JPG

Not it. It had less spots but they were larger in size, a really distinctive yellow colour, and a solid build (like Schwarzenegger on steroids) :lol:

11 hours ago, Blackfish said:

This is not a guess on what it was (see earlier post :D) maybe a juvenile/adult of the species, hence the colour variation.

Have not seen this species before in any books that I can remember. I considered it could have been a juvenile of it's species. When I can find a shark reference book, better than what I own, will have another look.

I made an enquiry with the Australian Museum, and spoke to one of the guys in the Discovery Section. He is a qualified Marine Biologist and has scuba dived for about 40 years.

His Shark I.D. Book has sharks from around the world, but nothing of the shark I spotted. He can only conclude that what I saw is a colour variation of a Leopard Shark. He has not seen or heard of the description I gave him, so I will accept the I.D. from him (and name it Yowie Leopard Shark :lol::lol::lol:)

can i have a guess and say that it might have been a leucistic leopard shark or a leucistic spotted sevengill shark?

(for reference, here is a dodgy photo of an albino nurse shark and its colouration when seen through water, leucistic individuals retain their eye colour and may have more/less dark pigment or spotting).

albino.jpg

On ‎8‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 9:38 PM, SquidMarks said:

can i have a guess and say that it might have been a leucistic leopard shark or a leucistic spotted sevengill shark?

(for reference, here is a dodgy photo of an albino nurse shark and its colouration when seen through water, leucistic individuals retain their eye colour and may have more/less dark pigment or spotting).

albino.jpg

No.

It had distinctive darker yellow colouring and jet black spots. Pectoral fin not so large.