transducer problem

big Neil

Greetings Raiders, I need a bit of help. I've just broken the 2nd transducer on my tinnie and they're not cheap to replace. Problem is that the actual transducer is hard plastic and they break where they fasten to the stainless steel bracket. The environment where I generally fish really knocks it around and (inevitably) the potential is there for it to break. Shallow water and submerged logs are a constant problem...

First question: is there a suitable adhesive that I can use to fix it? I have used Super Glue. End result may be that it will get broken again???

Second question: is there an affordable alternative which anyone uses that can take a bit of rough treatment without breaking, or are all transducers flimsy, hardened plastic?

You will see that the point where they break is quite a narrow neck (enclosed pictures). Thanks for any help, BN

Not a great design?

IMG_6514resize.jpg

2nd one to break here.

IMG_6515resize.jpg

This model shows fish, structure, depth and water temp...all I need for my usual fishing.

IMG_6517resize.jpg

I'm not 100% about the functionality of transducers, but will having the unit move around a little create problems with the readings?

Not sure about reattaching but maybe you could allow it a bit of play to swivel up and down on the mounting to alleviate pressure on the weak point - ie loosening the bolt slightly and adding a second 'lock' nut to prevent the bracket unscrewing itself.

Cheers,

Wellzy

Super glue will work but the water resistance of cyanoacrylate is pretty poor so will eventually fail. Epoxy will not work and neither will liquid nails (no adhesion to non polar surfaces suck as the plastic in your transducer). Other issue with trying to glue will be vibration will work through the glue line, cyanoacrylate has great sheer strength (straight pull) but very poor peel strength (side to side/vibration flex etc), phone Loctite and see if they have a modified cyanoacrylate available in their engineering range- standard over the counter Bunnings stuff wont be up to it

Hi  BN

Don't  know about ali boats but I have a in hull transducer glued to the inside of the hull of my boat. Two ways to do this is in hull or thru hull.with mine I shoot thru the hull so just used plastersine to find the best spot then affixed it with sickerflex .Worked for me

Dave 

if it was me neil I would get some narrow stainless strips screwed with stainless teks to bracket bend to shape to sit on top of trans either side and mount with copious quantity of black sikaflex...prob not prettiest but will hold there well an truly..ive done it before..broke trans on first day beach launching on two week Minnie trip...as mentioned glues don't work well on this plastic..rick

1 hour ago, rickmarlin62 said:

if it was me neil I would get some narrow stainless strips screwed with stainless teks to bracket bend to shape to sit on top of trans either side and mount with copious quantity of black sikaflex...prob not prettiest but will hold there well an truly..ive done it before..broke trans on first day beach launching on two week Minnie trip...as mentioned glues don't work well on this plastic..rick

So as long as the stainless strips and screws are up the side they won't impact on the workings of the transducer Rick?

1 hour ago, DrownNprawns said:

Hi  BN

Don't  know about ali boats but I have a in hull transducer glued to the inside of the hull of my boat. Two ways to do this is in hull or thru hull.with mine I shoot thru the hull so just used plastersine to find the best spot then affixed it with sickerflex .Worked for me

Dave 

Thanks Dave. I'm going to look at Rick's suggestion and see if that will work for me. Neil

4 hours ago, PaddyT said:

Super glue will work but the water resistance of cyanoacrylate is pretty poor so will eventually fail. Epoxy will not work and neither will liquid nails (no adhesion to non polar surfaces suck as the plastic in your transducer). Other issue with trying to glue will be vibration will work through the glue line, cyanoacrylate has great sheer strength (straight pull) but very poor peel strength (side to side/vibration flex etc), phone Loctite and see if they have a modified cyanoacrylate available in their engineering range- standard over the counter Bunnings stuff wont be up to it

Thanks Paddy. Sounds like you are very familiar with glues etc. BN

Big Neil. You are tightening the mounting bolt too tight, going by the rubber washers. 

The hinge is designed to kick up if it hits anything solid. You need just enough tension so it won't kick up under water pressure. 

I have come back many times with mine in the up position after beaching or hitting something in the water. 

I don't know if there is any reliable way of glueing that. Best bet for a strong bond is to try and drill it and use a dowel. Just be careful how deep you go. 

I'm not too sure about using brackets to permanently hold it down. It's not if, but when you hit something you might cause more damage when it rips off, and it's going to break off at the weakest point regardless. 

Edited by Roylo

Just a thought.Could you fibreglass it back together or wrap the two pieces with fibreglass to hold them together?

And yeah as Roylo says it looks like the pivot bolt is too tight.

Cheers

Choicebro

The bolt probably is a fraction tight but the breakage occurs from hitting the odd submerged log or root ball as I navigate (in reverse), in and out of the timbers, retrieving lures. Have had 2 break on me over the years. I know it's a locational problem but that's where the fish are. Just expensive replacing them...so hoping to be able to effect a suitable repair.

Thank you everyone for your very informative comments. I have come to the realisation that glues are not the solution to the repairs. Cheers,BN