Trevalley on balmoral wharf

arthur06

Hi guys, heading down to balmoral wharf this Sunday after a successful trip to Narrabeen produced a nice tailor decided to give another beach a try. How do I target trevalley on the wharf? There a definately trevalley there. Seen em in the water and being caught. What rig do I use? I have appropriate bait, tackle, hooks and sinkers. As they say, all the gear and no idea! Love to eat them and heard they are good fighters too. Is it worth investing in a net? Or can I lift them up? Is a float nessesary? What kind of areas should I cast into? Thanks in advance guys. Cheers

i would go bottom but it depends on where they are hanging around if u let it slowly sink to the bottom you should get hits if they are around and that will tell you where in the water column

I while back I took the kids there  and got trevs on peeled prawns light weight as possible cast into the ribbon weed just off the wharf. Cut a couple prawns up fine for berley and was suprised by the size of fish I was expecting yakkas just to give the kids a thrill but the trevs went hard on their tiny rods.

4 minutes ago, blaxland said:

I while back I took the kids there  and got trevs on peeled prawns light weight as possible cast into the ribbon weed just off the wharf. Cut a couple prawns up fine for berley and was suprised by the size of fish I was expecting yakkas just to give the kids a thrill but the trevs went hard on their tiny rods.

a lot more help than me mate

22 minutes ago, arthur06 said:

:1yikes:Ahhh mate prawns are really expensive and :ranting2:Won't let me buy them "just for fishing" wish I could tho, maybe I could sneak a couple hundred grams. Lol

Just go to your local large supermarket, 10 banana prawns cost about 3-5 dollars. I usually find thats enough for a session

Hi Arthur 

i have had good success on the trevs with chicken breast coated in parmi cheese, left overnight. U can put some tuna oil on it too if u have any

for 13 bucks u can get yourself a kilo of chicken breast and a bag of parmi and it will easily get u 4 or 5 sessions so definitely an economic way to get quality bait. U will also get bream and snapper as by catch on this bait. 

For 50c u can get a tub of stinky cat food which u can use for burley. 

19 hours ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

Just go to your local large supermarket, 10 banana prawns cost about 3-5 dollars. I usually find thats enough for a session

Since the outbreak of white spot disease in prawns, the DPI have requested not to use supermarket prawns as bait.  There's more details at: http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/pests-diseases/animal-health/aquaculture/white-spot-disease/important-information-for-recreation-fishers-use-of-prawns-as-bait

21 hours ago, arthur06 said:

:1yikes:Ahhh mate prawns are really expensive and :ranting2:Won't let me buy them "just for fishing" wish I could tho, maybe I could sneak a couple hundred grams. Lol

stinky green  ones from the petrol station

1 hour ago, takethebait said:

Since the outbreak of white spot disease in prawns, the DPI have requested not to use supermarket prawns as bait.  There's more details at: http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/pests-diseases/animal-health/aquaculture/white-spot-disease/important-information-for-recreation-fishers-use-of-prawns-as-bait

Thanks Takethebait.

I wish DPI would find a better way to pass on info like this e.g. Via their app.

1 hour ago, takethebait said:

Since the outbreak of whitI spot disease in prawns, the D.PI have requested not to use supermarket prawns as bait.  There's more details at: http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/pests-diseases/animal-health/aquaculture/white-spot-disease/important-information-for-recreation-fishers-use-of-prawns-as-bait

I believe it is only related to AU QLD harvested prawns i.e.  not the cheap overseas sourced supermarket prawns .

1 hour ago, savit said:

I believe it is only related to AU QLD harvested prawns i.e.  not the cheap overseas sourced supermarket prawns .

Unfortunately Savit, that's not true. However the QLD outbreak is what prompted the DPIs response:

"An outbreak of White Spot Disease in farmed prawns in South East Queensland is a reminder to people fishing in Australia’s waters not to use prawns meant for human consumption as bait.

Prawns purchased from supermarkets and other food outlets could spread the virus."

Cheers,

Wellzy

18 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Hi Arthur 

i have had good success on the trevs with chicken breast coated in parmi cheese, left overnight. U can put some tuna oil on it too if u have any

for 13 bucks u can get yourself a kilo of chicken breast and a bag of parmi and it will easily get u 4 or 5 sessions so definitely an economic way to get quality bait. U will also get bream and snapper as by catch on this bait. 

For 50c u can get a tub of stinky cat food which u can use for burley. 

Chicken and Parmesan cheese? Never heard of that before. But before I buy any bait I have to use up 2 kilos of Pillies. Dang. Anyway, what kind of rig should I use? Float rig? Running ball sinker? Paternoster? Thanks

Edited by arthur06

4 hours ago, takethebait said:

many thanks TTT I didn't know this

30 minutes ago, arthur06 said:

Chicken and Parmesan cheese? Never heard of that before. But before I buy any bait I have to use up 2 kilos of Pillies. Dang. Anyway, what kind of rig should I use? Float rig? Running ball sinker? Paternoster? Thanks

trevally will defineatly eat pillies

My technique is an unweighted pillie cube with a bail arm open drifted down the water column. This will only work on smaller swells or days with light winds otherwise your bait will be moved around too much. Burley up with pillies or bread. Alternatively you can use a running sinker rig. Pillies, prawns, bread, chicken - all work for trevs

I use chicken pellets/bread and diced pillies as burley.

Little or no weight.

As for Bait I generally swap between:-

Sliced cheap chicken fillets (Holds on the hook real good).

Prawns.

Cubed pillies.

Keep them on the bite with the burley.

53 minutes ago, sydney south said:

I use chicken pellets/bread and diced pillies as burley.

Little or no weight.

As for Bait I generally swap between:-

Sliced cheap chicken fillets (Holds on the hook real good).

Prawns.

Cubed pillies.

Keep them on the bite with the burley.

When I use chicken for bait, sometimes the breast is too soft and doesn't hold well. I've recently started using chicken thigh, as the meat is consistently tougher than breast. Just food for thought! :)

Cheers,

Wellzy

On ‎7‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 8:27 AM, Wellzy94 said:

When I use chicken for bait, sometimes the breast is too soft and doesn't hold well. I've recently started using chicken thigh, as the meat is consistently tougher than breast. Just food for thought! :)

Cheers,

Wellzy

Thanks Wellzy,

Sorry I did not mention the chicken Portion.

Yes thigh is better, and generally cheaper.

Most often the chicken bait will stay on and then be used again.