New beach setup

Howdoweplaythis

I am after a new beach setup because a fish ripped my old combo out of the holder and into the surf, never to be seen again :depression: 

The reel I plan to get is a Pflueger Salt in the 60 size (approximately equivalent to 6000 size in other brands). My old rod was an ugly stik 12' 8-12kg but I am looking at getting a Penn prevail for my new setup. A few questions: 

1. Would this reel suit a 8-12kg or a 12-20kg rod more in the Penn Prevail range? I am chasing jewfish, salmon, tailor etc

2. I used to use 30lb braid on my old setup. Would 40lb be overkill? I suppose this would also depend on the above rod recommendation. 

3. I have never casted a graphite rod in the surf. Will a fibreglass or graphite rod cast further for heavy baits and big sinkers? 

Any other recommendations or advice is appreciated :) Cheers 

It is suggested not to overload graphite rods as they are less forgiving. Tell us what total weight are you going to cast and also check the casting weight on the graphite rods. There are plenty of composite rods (mix of glass and graphite) , I think even Uglies are usually composite rods with glass tip now.

In regards to rod stolen by a fish - I managed once to catch the rod  using the 2nd rod rig. It was quite a surprise to have it back , though the reel required repairs.

I find graphite rods come into their own when fishing soft plastics or throwing chrome often i.e light to use when casting often. I still use bullet proof rods like ugly sticks when needed e.g. live baiting kings or trolling when anything could be on offer an would do the same in the surf

Guest Guest123456789

1. 8-12kg 

2. Go 20 or 30lbs. 40lbs too thick you won't cast as far and the wind and current will drag you around too much. 20lbs is good because your line should break before your rod.

3. Graphite, hauling heavy gear plus large catch is never fun. 

Note the set up above would be too light for sharks so probably avoid using slab baits.

As rick mentioned set the drag real light, using a running sinker (I like a crane swivel that slides along braid with a 3oz star sinker) and use circle hooks. When the fish runs just tighten the drag and slowly lift the rod, don't strike.

Guest Guest123456789
10 hours ago, Howdoweplaythis said:

Thanks for the responses. Will go and check out some rods this weekend 

BTW recommend a 13 or even 14 footer for the beach, the extra length is awesome