Foreshore drive boat ramp

capt snoopy

Hi guys

wondering who maintains boat ramps. Today I was at Foreshore drive ramp retiring my boat after a days fish. 

We noticed the ramp is so slippery and getting a build up of oysters about a metre from the water line. 

As we were retrieving the boat the car started sliding into the water. Luckily my mate was able to dive into the car and pushed the brake with his hand. 

Is there anyone we can complain to about it. Surely they have maintenance programmes for such things 

Thanks for the heads up. I am planning to go to that ramp tomorrow morning for a launch. I guess i will need to time it so the tide isn't at peak low's, cheers.

Ps how did your session today go? I am planning to fish around inside the bay. 

Edited by Ojay Samson

Foreshore drive is a bit different to a normal ramp, the facility is on land leased by the Port Authority (was previously govt but then privatised), so the council doesn't maintain it. So I think you will have to direct your complaint to the port authority. It's a famously slippery ramp, always bring something to chock the rear wheels.

Doesn't add up to me, if the car is sliding it would make no difference if the foot brake was on or off, slide means wheels are not turning. I think you may have had the vehicle in neutral with hand brake not on all the way, then applying foot brake would stop the so called slide.

Frank

1 hour ago, frankS said:

Doesn't add up to me, if the car is sliding it would make no difference if the foot brake was on or off, slide means wheels are not turning. I think you may have had the vehicle in neutral with hand brake not on all the way, then applying foot brake would stop the so called slide.

Frank

It happens all the time at Foreshore/low tide, handbrake can only lock the 2 rear wheels and particularly on rear drive cars, front wheels are free to turn because they're not connected to anything. So the only thing holding many cars in place is the rear wheels. When they get on the slippery stuff, the car will slide straight in unless you can engage the front brakes (which will still have grip further up the ramp), as old mate has done in this situation.

Something like this can prevent what happened to you.Even a piece of pvc/dowel wedged in between the foot brake and base of seat will suffice.

Youll find they tend to maintain the ramps less in the cooler months than they do in the warmer for some reason.

If i lived there n used the ramp often id take a long handle shovel and clean the oysters off, and take the petrol motor truck gurnea n give it a good pressure wash.

sometimes waiting for counsels etc can be like watching paint dry.

other fisho,s might see and next time take a turn?

to maintain the ramp.

you can only hope.