Winter king

Krispy !

Hey Raiders long time between reports been very busy lately and havent had much free time but finally got to head oit this morning for a session.  Headed to my usual haunt in the harbour at about 630, wasnt expecting anything too crash hot as its winter, so i was mainly targetting trevally but those plans were quickly thrown out. As me and my mate arrived on location, we began burleying up and immediately began seeing lollipop yellowtail about 10cm long, caught about 8 of them and they dissapeared as soon as the sun was abit brighter in the sky. My mate send one out first on a float and that was quickly slammed by a solid salmon that went 68cm, quick pic and released. I got a yellowtail out soon after and it got hit as soon as it touched the water but it was ripped off the hook, quickly grabbed another yellowtail and lobbed it out this time kept the bail open and line began to fly off after about 10 seconds, closed the bail and came up tight. After a nice tussle i was expecti ng another salmon but was surprised when a nice king came up, my mate netted it and in the esky it went, measuring 73cm. My mate got another king that was undersize aroind the 60cm mark and the action died out after that with only a couple of trevally caught afterwards. All in all it was a nice session to clear the cobwebs and good to see some nice kings still about.

Screenshot_20170626-223001.png

Nice Krispy! The kings are still about in the mix. Did it put up much of a fight? I caught one the other day on sps thinking it was a small baker, only to find it was a 60cm ish kingy! Didn't so much beat its tail. Hmmmm

cheers scratchie!!! 

Good to see Krispy , good winty kingy there !

I got a couple last week just outside botany same size which took big occy baits...but got bricked by 2 others, nothing beats cold water Kings!

good effort its dam cold out?

9 hours ago, beginner said:

Nice Kingy, way to clean the cobwebs, would have been damn cold this morning!!!

Regards,

Nathan

It was freezing ? i couldnt move my fingers 

3 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Nice Krispy! The kings are still about in the mix. Did it put up much of a fight? I caught one the other day on sps thinking it was a small baker, only to find it was a 60cm ish kingy! Didn't so much beat its tail. Hmmmm

cheers scratchie!!! 

Yeah i noticed that scratchie,  for a king its size it came up pretty easy, must be the cold water slowing their metabolism

53 minutes ago, Ribs said:

Good to see Krispy , good winty kingy there !

I got a couple last week just outside botany same size which took big occy baits...but got bricked by 2 others, nothing beats cold water Kings!

good effort its dam cold out?

Makes waking up that early well worth it thats for sure

Good to see a few kings still kicking around. 

As for water temp Ive found them to go harder in cooler water than the ones you get up north in warm water. Air temp is cold but the sea is still 17.5 down here around Montague, which is much warmer than NZ where they have very cool water and very hard fighting kings. 

7 hours ago, JonD said:

Good to see a few kings still kicking around. 

As for water temp Ive found them to go harder in cooler water than the ones you get up north in warm water. Air temp is cold but the sea is still 17.5 down here around Montague, which is much warmer than NZ where they have very cool water and very hard fighting kings. 

That's a good point, yeah i'm not sure, maybe it was choking on the yellowtail, it was hooked in the corner of the mouth and it was a well conditioned fish so that's the only other thing that might have slowed it down.

6 hours ago, Wellzy94 said:

Beautiful king mate! Good on you for getting out and battling the cold, it definitely was worth the effort.

Cheers,

Wellzy

Thanks Wellzy :)

5 hours ago, Rah said:

Top effort with the Kingy and battling the cold.

Cheers

Tara

Thanks Tara :)

4 hours ago, Penguin said:

Nice work there converting yakkas into Kings.

Cheers

Cheers Penguin :)

18 hours ago, ARC H said:

nice nothing beats catching bait then catching fish

Thats true mate its always fun catching youre own bait

17 hours ago, Regan said:

thats a nicely conditioned king

It is :o

13 hours ago, blaxland said:

Nice catch hope im as fortunate tommorow any tips where I might have a go?

Hey mate yeah at the moment theres a few fish around north harbour so areas like balmoral and the spit bridge are holding some fish. Just gotta be at the right place at the right time