Beginner Fisher

Hello,

I have recently discovered an old but new adventure in fishing and would like your advice on gear and tackle purchasing for a start in general purpose salt water fishing.

I like the 7' telescopic fishing rod and medium sized reel to match.

What tackle will I need for salt water fishing? Line and size? Jigs, hooks, rigs and the like? Soft and hard lures? What should I get for a start? What else can you think that I could have to go on a short ground based fishing trip around Sydney harbour?

What fish are available in Sydney harbour through out the seasons and what times are best to find them fish?

Thanks

Jack

Hi Jack. Your question is really too broad based to answer here mate. Your best move would be to use the internet to learn about the best ways to fish for Bream, Flathead, Tailor, Salmon, Snapper and Trevally. These are commonly caught species in and around Sydney. You can catch all of these with a 3-6 kg rod, 4000 series spinning reel, 10 lb mono, size 2 sinker, 2/0 hooks and some bait. (mullet, prawns, squid) should get you started. After that it's pot luck whether you're in the right place when the fish are feeding. Do some research mate. You usually get out what you put in.Good luck, BN

That's great simple advice BN! That combination of rod, reel and line should suit most applications and will get you started. 

Most dedicated fishos on here would confuse you with the array of choices on offer! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Hi Jack,

Based on what you've said, are you interested in bait or lure fishing?

Depending on your choice, the tackle to suit would vary.

My advice would be to decide on this first, then you would get more specific advice from Raiders.

Great advice so far, and I second to stay away from telescopic rods. Nothing personal against them lol, but yeah, not the type of rod I would suggest.

Cheers,

Chris

if fishing estuaries a 2 piece 2-4 or 3-5 kg rod is a good start (better than telescopic) with 10lb braid or mono if using braid have a leader and with mono it dosent hurt to as well also make sure you get quality line

this is my opinion  

If I could go back and tell myself what to buy it would be what I'm buying now for land-based ultralight soft plastics:

Nice long rod 7' - 7'6" rated to 1-3kg. Should cast somewhere between 1-10grams. I'm personally going for a 7'6" as I already have a 7'2" rated to 2-4kg and find I can't throw a light weighted grub far enough for bream fishing.

1000 - 2000 size fishing reel, I'm going for a 1000 because of the small line diameter of 4lb braid

4lb braid with 4lb flouro leader

Jig heads in the 1/24th, 1/16th and 1/8th ranges with hook sizes around the #6 or #4 or maybe even 1/0 for flathead

Curl tail grubs in 2 - 2.5 inches: motor oil, watermelon with red fleck, bloodworm, amber

In my eyes that is bare minimum to start getting hook-ups. I think in Sydney you have to go really light to get the bite. Having a long rod with ultralight also helps you get the distance to cast at near-by boat moorings or whatever too. The best structure is usually a little way out and the distance helps.

You are most likely going to catch bream, whiting, flathead, tailor while ladbased and this should handle all of those pretty easily.

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate the help, advice and knowledge.

Wow! Its amazing how strong the online presence is here when it comes to fishing.

There's a whole lot of info online but I thought a better way of getting knowledge was to engage with you all here online and get a closer look at what people on the ground, instead of just reading information all the time which I have been doing recently.

Big Neil I will have a look to 'How to fish for Bream, Whiting'...etc Also I find this info '3-6 kg rod, 4000 series spinning reel, 10 lb mono, size 2 sinker, 2/0 hooks and some bait. (mullet, prawns, squid)' help too. Thanks! I have plenty of time so I'll put in in much as I can and have some fun at the same time.

Rickmarlin & Arch H Whats the deal with telescopic rods? A rod is a rod right? Unless there's something I'm missing like some kind of major quality issue? I just want something lite and compact that's going to fit into my pocket but decent quality as well. I also don't want to pay alot of money for something either. I'll have a look at the other 7' poles instead. I'm guessing the three piece rods are a little more pricy.

From the rest of the input I got from Brass roots and everybody else it looks like a 3-6kg and even a 5kg rod will be fine. And 10lb mono or a smaller braided leader line. I'm going to look at lines and reels. What input do you have for lines and reels? What If I want to catch a 3-5kg size fish?

Foolforjesus I would like to do a little of both if there is possible? Looks like ill just not get a telescopic either.

Theres so much more to think about when id rather be fishing.

Cheers

Jack

first of all I agree with rick telescopic rods are generally rubbish instead of being one blank its a whole bunch of small ones sitting together and is generally weaker with a much poorer taper 

I would go a 2-4kg combo its a bit more versatile shimano has some decent combos with 7ft catana rods and 2500 cazna reels (my outfit i fish with 90% of the time)

i personally use 8lb braid with 8lb flurocaron leader this has me covered for spinning for bream flathead bass trout etc... can also be used for bait fishing

the rating of the line doesn't equate to the weight of the fish you catch..i have caught 80kg marlin on 6kg line...and 18kg tuna on 4kg line...for your SPs stick to a 2/4kg rod  you can still run4 or 5kg line just don't fish too heavy on the drag..im using 10lb braid over2/4kg 7ft rod for cod and have no probs catching cod up to 8/9kg...stay light and enjoy the fight..rick

OK, last piece of advice. Don't get an "all 'rounder" rod. Pick a fishing style and aim your gear towards it. Otherwise you might get frustrated that it doesn't fish the way that you like it to. That will probably take some experience with the gear to decide what you want so aim at what these guys have said.