Coogee rocks

Burger

Went out and risked a life jacket warning at the local rocks for a few hours yesterday arvo.
Quiet fishing, got 1 blackie at 35cm's. Unfortunately needed 4 for dinner so he went back at the end. 
Also got 2 of the biggest cockies I've ever seen and a baby drummer.
Phone v low battery so no photos, however it was very enjoyable.

It's been a while between sessions.

12 minutes ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

Why not just wear a life jacket and don't risk the warning?

When you are fishing a rock and there is someone next to you not fishing and just standing there, where is the need for a jacket.?

i had young kids jumping in and out of the water right beside where I was fishing on the weekend. Makes no sense in some cases.

if you need a jacket you shouldn't be there

2 hours ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

Why not just wear a life jacket and don't risk the warning?

I have an understanding of the ocean through being raised by the beach, body surfing, fishing, snorkelling and scuba diving.

If it too dangerous I won't fish or will fish somewhere else.

The council's own research showed main problem is new Australians, many of whom cannot even swim and do not understand the powers of our ocean.

Why should I be made to wear a jacket rather than have an education program.

Yesterday was a good example, quite calm with only the odd larger set coming through.

I had shorts and cleats on shoes, yet others had long pants and gumboots. Less than ideal clothing for rockfishing.

1 bloke had a life jacket and cleats, the other two that turned up not long before we left had nothing suitable on.

As cossie said, there were also others on the rocks for quite a while, just without a fishing rod and the appropriate footwear. With no requirement for them to wear jackets.

Any rockfishing within Randwick Council area, I dont think they ll make a difference between high or low ledge. So when some idiots that cant swim get washed off by a 6ft wave, they can wait for the chopper to rescue them... Also I often see more people than fishermen wandering on the rocks, with no knowledges of waves breaking and they dont have to wear anything... Plain stupids rules but they ll say they did something to minimise the risk..