First Boat Advice

B!rch

Hey Raiders.

I'm just after some advice on buying a boat.

Are marine surveyors used for all sizes of boat or mainly bigger ones? I'm after a 6m Bowrider and wasn't sure if it's worth getting it checked out by a surveyor or just checking it out myself?

I was told they are mainly for bigger boats but I would hate to miss any issues when I view the boat myself.

Thanks in advance.

BirchTree

my tips

1. Make sure your car can tow the boat you want, including gear and fuel.

2. Buy the newest boat you can with the biggest motor fitted, under powered boat suck.

3. Ask for service records or receipts, self service is fine but they should have the parts invoices to show what they have changed when servicing the outboard and trailer.

4. It's a buyers market and boats are like buses there will be another one along and it could be better.

5. Factor in options into your price, if you have to replace repair things you may want to price them up as you may blow the budget.

6. Go for a test drive, tow it with your car and launch the boat and have a drive.

7. If in doubt spend $250 and get a mobile boat Mech to check it out.

Edited by jeffb5.8

Thanks for the advice. I think I will go with a mobile mechanic when I find the right one just to be sure.

I have a navara D40 which I believe has a capable towing capacity.

Will it make a difference if the boat has an inboard stern drive engine with regards to self servicing or is that still fine?

Thanks for the tips, I will take them into account.

When I bought my boat I asked the seller to take it to a local marine. A mechanic did a compression test and an all round checkover. $180 I think.  Mechanic was happy so I paid the seller and drove off with it. If the inboard is a mercruiser, ask when the last time the manifold was replaced. Has to be done every 5 -7 years.

Edited by Smasher