First time fishing offshore

SickWolf

Hey guys,

Heading down on the weekend to a friend's boat for a fish offshore. What should I expect? I have a 7 foot shimano 2-4 kilo combo with a 2500 reel spooled with 8lb braid. Is this good or should I break out the 12 foot surf? As for bait I have frozen yellowtail and squid. I also have a metal blade/stinger I picked up. Slowjigging I think its called? Anyway what should I expect/do to catch whatever I can catch? A kingfish, mahi mahi or snapper would be nice but maybe I am aiming to high. Sorry for the long post but I have no idea sinceI have always been landbased.

Cheers 

Wolfie 

I would take the light set up for sure. You could catch anything. Good luck landing a King on that gear though. I fish with the same set up mainly and I get a lot of good snapper but on the occasions i get a decent king they bust me off. You will have more fun going light than heavy.

Guest Guest123456789

Ask the skipper what to bring. I tell people to bring nothing as I have everything in order and other gear gets in the way.

maybe also take your surf rods reel. If you are in deep water, then your 2500 might not have enough line to reach the bottom. 

You'll also need some heavy sinkers if you are bottom bashing.Maybe 8oz.I guess it depends on what you are

targeting. I think the Mahi Mahi have gone for the season now. Its looking like being a bit rough, so remember your seas-sick pills

if you suffer like I do!

3 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Ask the skipper what to bring. I tell people to bring nothing as I have everything in order and other gear gets in the way.

+1-always check with the skipper-if he wants something on his boat its his call.

re: Surf outfit, you may need the reel + line but leave the road at home. Shorter is better on a boat. And yes, check with your friend, he may have everything sorted. 

Suggested you get some travel sickness remedy from the chemist - if you haven't been offshore before. And I find the trick is to try and keep your eyes outside of the boat at the horizon.  Don't spend too long looking in bags and rigging up where you look inside the boat.  I find the ginger based ones are good.  Good luck!