Pittwater Trevally

drc2076

Surf conditions sent me to plan B today, meaning a trip to Pittwater in the late afternoon hoping for some nice winter bream. Started out with vibes. Nothing. Switched to gulp crabbies. Loved only by leather jackets who picked them to pieces. Next to my cranka crab lure. Now we were getting somewhere. Lots of enquiries but only landed under size pink snapper. As the sun was going down I switched to unweighted pilchards. And suddenly the place was trevally alley. Mostly around 28cm but they give a good account of themselves. Best fish of the day was this trevally which ran to about 38cm. Extended the fight just to enjoy the feel of it. When it became fully dark, with the tide still running in, they went totally off the bite. So in the end nothing spectacular, but plenty of action, a beautiful sunset and a PB trevally. I'll take it. Tight lines.

IMG_0159.JPG

Edited by drc2076

4 hours ago, big Neil said:

Sounds like a great session drc. Would work a tonic for me right now...fishless for a few months. Cheers, BN

Fishless by choice or circumstance? Here's hoping you get the chance soon. Best wishes.

1 hour ago, flattiefisher27 said:

Trevally are going off on the unweighted pillies atm, if you stay on then long enough with a burley trail, the kings come through too and they give an even better account for themselves ??

solid trev mate!! Cracker!

Cheers. They were great fun! A king would have been fantastic but not on this trip. Interesting thing, the bite was consistent around the hour before sunset, but the minute it got fully dark they went quiet. Tide was still running in. Not sure if that's standard for trevs or not. Would be interested to know the experience of others.

1 hour ago, drc2076 said:

Cheers. They were great fun! A king would have been fantastic but not on this trip. Interesting thing, the bite was consistent around the hour before sunset, but the minute it got fully dark they went quiet. Tide was still running in. Not sure if that's standard for trevs or not. Would be interested to know the experience of others.

I've caught them after dark so they do feed at night 

sometimes fish forget to read the rule book 

also as pre mentioned potential of kingies in the area, in my experience once they arrive everything capable of fitting in their mouth takes a hike 

1 hour ago, drc2076 said:

Fishless by choice or circumstance? Here's hoping you get the chance soon. Best wishes.

Alas by circumstance. River nearly empty and freezing cold water has the fish shut right down. Patience is being tested to the limit. BN

2 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

I've caught them after dark so they do feed at night 

sometimes fish forget to read the rule book 

also as pre mentioned potential of kingies in the area, in my experience once they arrive everything capable of fitting in their mouth takes a hike 

When I was burleying up the trevs a couple of kings came through and you could tell they were in control, the trevs would move out of the way of the kings as the rocketed through to the burley trail, we could see this happening underneath our boat as all the fish were quite high up in the water column, we had a hit bite from 9am till 2pm and it was still going as we left, they don't seem to fussed by the tides or time, however the kings did not hang around long, only for half an hour or so, it was mental!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 02/10/2017 at 6:50 PM, iamthecowgodmoo said:

I've caught plenty of Trev's at night on soft plastics. They go nuts for the squidgy wriggler in dark green.

You're quite right. There is no logical reason why they would necessarily go off the bite just because the sun's gone down. And yet, on every occasion I've fished this spot I get serious trevally action in the hour before last light and then zero. 

Edited by drc2076

On 10/4/2017 at 4:07 PM, drc2076 said:

You're quite right. There is no logical reason why they would necessarily go off the bite just because the sun's gone down. And yet, on every occasion I've fished this spot I get serious trevally action in the hour before last light and then zero. 

And it happened again. Decided to take an early mark Friday (and a handful of nurofen to counter a sinus headache) and take advantage of daylight saving. Headed up to my Pittwater spot with the trusty salted pillies. Two good size tailor (close to 40cm each) a nice trevally, a bunch of small pinkies and a host of near misses. All released. As per normal, the minute it got full dark the spot shut down completely.