Trevally at Balmoral

omo

Hi All,

Early start today to see if any squid around at Balmoral wharf. Started with a size 3.0 jig but no hits. Does anyone have any tips for squidding from this/or similar wharf location?

Love fishing for trevally and caught two legal ones and a heap of undersized ones on weightless peeled prawn. Also lots of the usual small snapper, bream and tarwhine. Whatever size they are, they are always hard-fighting. I used a 2-4kg medium taper rod, 6lb braid, 5lb fluoro and a no.4 isaema hook for the weightless outfit. I added a small splitshot about 30cm from the hook when the wind picked up. 

The usual schools of yellowtail were few and far between today, so live-baiting was not really an option today, but we have landed oz salmon on yellowtail from here with dusk being prime time. 

Got pretty crowded and windy towards late afternoon so packed up with 2 trevally, a pike, and a couple of large yellowtail. Will sashimi the trevally, and pan fry the yellowtail, and beer batter the pike fillets for a feed. All in all a great way to spend a unusually warm winter Sunday. Hope you all wet a line too.

cheers and tight lines,

Omo

balmoral catchy.jpg

23 minutes ago, Toilor3000 said:

Nothing wrong with Pike just a bit unpleasant to handle owing to the slime and smell. 

interesting i have only ever know pike as a good bait

Good stuff omo used to go that wharf a bit never fished it tho except for yakkas will have to try it again  seems to be plenty of reports coming from there

cheers

Nice work there. I need to get back into the trevs. I was at Balmoral for a couple of hours yesterday evening and saw a few people there had caught trevs during the day.

Awesome report, nice picture. Well done!

On 23/07/2017 at 7:38 PM, blaxland said:

Hi mate nice way to spen the afternoon how do the pike fillets go? I have been warned off eating pike but mind those guys wont eat tailor which I love.

I think the pike fillets are good.. eating taste and texture between whiting and garfish.

Thanks for all the considerate encouraging words. Will keep at it ;)

9 hours ago, Siesta911 said:

I would go in the evening or a few hours before dawn to catch squid. Harder to catch after sunrise I think.

Yeah, my experience with the trevs there is that they are pretty consistent in terms of showing up day to day but they will generally run through once or twice in the early morning and again in the afternoon. Then they scoot and disappear to somewhere else.

On 24/07/2017 at 9:26 PM, Mike89 said:

Nice work there. I need to get back into the trevs. I was at Balmoral for a couple of hours yesterday evening and saw a few people there had caught trevs during the day.

Awesome report, nice picture. Well done!

hi Mike! how u been champ! lol havne't seen u fishing for ages... so have I.. been busy lol

23 hours ago, papafish said:

hi Mike! how u been champ! lol havne't seen u fishing for ages... so have I.. been busy lol

Been a bit busy with a few things bud ;). Shoot me a message and we can have a fish next weekend maybe. Who knows, maybe trevally at Balmoral?

• 4 weeks later...