Boat Licence costs NSW

Sea Ranger

Hi all,

I had a Boat Driver's licence for a number of years with the last one expiring in 2010.  I haven't had need since then with kayaks and 2.4m tender driving only.  I'm looking to purchase a tinny and I see the rules have changed and now you need a course and I think I'm outside the grace period to just renew (5 years).  From what I'm reading I have to attend a theory and practical course?  So I'm looking at these "training joints" and they are asking $230 to $300 for one adult to do their course.  Does that include the fee for maritime or is the maritime fee on top of that as well.

so given the cheap option I found would it be $230 plus $59 to get me legal?

Anyone tried to use Recognized prior learning RPL for the course and just sit an exam at Maritime?

Cheers

Bear

The practical isn't a mandatory section of the licensing - You have two options.

1) Complete the practical "assessment" with a maritime licensing body.

2) Complete a logbook with someone who has held their boat license for 3 years.

You may have leniency having previously had your license, but I'm not sure. You'd have to call a licensing body and ask them directly, I think.

Cheers,

Wellzy

1 hour ago, Wellzy94 said:

The practical isn't a mandatory section of the licensing - You have two options.

1) Complete the practical "assessment" with a maritime licensing body.

2) Complete a logbook with someone who has held their boat license for 3 years.

You may have leniency having previously had your license, but I'm not sure. You'd have to call a licensing body and ask them directly, I think.

Cheers,

Wellzy

I got my boat license ages ago and always thought that there should be a "practical" component in the process. I only did a theory assessment (which, incidentally was almost irrelevant to me), as it covered mainly night navigation in a busy seaway. Anybody know how long the requirement for a practical has formed part of the test process. Cheers, BN

54 minutes ago, big Neil said:

I got my boat license ages ago and always thought that there should be a "practical" component in the process. I only did a theory assessment (which, incidentally was almost irrelevant to me), as it covered mainly night navigation in a busy seaway. Anybody know how long the requirement for a practical has formed part of the test process. Cheers, BN

The practical only gives basic boat driving experience (I did it 12 months ago when I got my boat license). I did it on stillwater (Nepean River) and it was only navigation in regards to red and green markers, and how to drive a boat.

I don't know how long it's been available though.

2 hours ago, Wellzy94 said:

The practical only gives basic boat driving experience (I did it 12 months ago when I got my boat license). I did it on stillwater (Nepean River) and it was only navigation in regards to red and green markers, and how to drive a boat.

I don't know how long it's been available though.

Thanks Luke. I assume the practical is NOW part of the license process. Should always have been!. You can do some serious damage with a boat, if you don't know what you're doing. BN

Hi all,

Just helped a work mate out with the practical by taking him out and filling out his logbook. He had previous boating experience so competency wasn't an issue.

After that all he had to do was book and complete the knowledge test and pay his licence fee.

Below is the link to the RMS website.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/maritime/licence/boat-pwc/index.html 

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Choicebro

14 hours ago, Noo2OzFish said:

Hi all,

I had a Boat Driver's licence for a number of years with the last one expiring in 2010.  I haven't had need since then with kayaks and 2.4m tender driving only.  I'm looking to purchase a tinny and I see the rules have changed and now you need a course and I think I'm outside the grace period to just renew (5 years).  From what I'm reading I have to attend a theory and practical course?  So I'm looking at these "training joints" and they are asking $230 to $300 for one adult to do their course.  Does that include the fee for maritime or is the maritime fee on top of that as well.

so given the cheap option I found would it be $230 plus $59 to get me legal?

Anyone tried to use Recognized prior learning RPL for the course and just sit an exam at Maritime?

Cheers

Bear

Good on you for wanting to do it the right way mate.The log book is only for honest people.Far too many people are putting bs down in the Book and getting their mate to sign off on it probably while they're watching the footy swigging on beers.Same with drivers licences for cars and it shows out on the water and on the roads.

Enjoy your new boat and get out as much as you can mate,because I certainly don't get out as much as I,d like too. 

Just do the theory video online on the RMS site, then head in and pick up the book from the RMS, get someone who you have boating experience with to sign your logbook, do the practice theory test online as many times as you want then go in and do the test when ready. i think in total it cost me $50-$60 to get sorted and licenced. 

In my opinion those courses arent really for people with experienced with boating and even then i fail to see how a 1 day group course can teach someone enough experience to know how to use a boat safely on their own.....but thats just my opinion, 

I've been taking the online test over and over and I seem to pass most everytime without studying.   I'm confused by the way it is setup can I just take the "practical" without paying for the whole course.  The log book method states you need three different dates to be "assessed" instead of where going to a RTO you only need the one day.   If I can pass the written test can I just do a one day to get my practical done at a RTO?  Can I take a mate with a current lic (3 years) fishing on my boat 3 times and have him initial it or do I have to be on his boat?

Bear

Hi bear

thats what I did

1. Bought the DVD from the RMS $18, they also have a online version you can buy, I was there so just bought it.

2. Went out on a friends boat 3 times and ticked off the checklist and he signed my log book.

3. Did the online test heaps of times and twice on the day I went to sit the test.

4. Paid the $45 to do the test (Passed)

5. Gave the log book and paid my 1yrs license fee.

done and dusted. 

Edited by jeffb5.8