Fishing Gear and domestic flights

Wellzy94

Hey raiders!

I'm in the very early stages of an NT trip late next year. I've got some friends in Darwin that I also plan to visit, but figured I'd have a crack at the fish up there while I'm visiting. 

However I'm a little concerned with the idea of packing fishing gear into my luggage - Have any raiders done this before? What's the safest way to store fishing gear in luggage?

Cheers,

Wellzy

I went over Vanuatu a couple of weeks ago with my gear. I stuck the reel and tackle in my luggage and the rod in a PVC pipe. Used the PVC cement to stick on a screw end and other end has a cap. Was fine for me. The PVC gives it a strong housing for slaughter that the baggage handlers put onto it and isnt too hard to make. You can also buy a rod holder but can get quiet expensive for some and also sometimes their either too big or too small depending on rod. Making it myself cost me about $26 and I made it for the 1 Rod only.

Also cut up some foam to stick on the rod guides and then wrapped the rod a bit in bubble wrap just to be 110% safe and at the end of both ends, I glued on more foam.

I have travelled with gear all over the world and generally match what I am taking to my luggage.  Most of the time I can fit my Fly Rods into check-in luggage as they are 4 piece, they have their own carry tube which makes it easy and I can sometimes fit a 4 piece travel spin rod in with them.

Where I want to take heavier gear that is either 1 piece or 2 piece than the old PVC tube works.  I went the extra step and bought a specific one designed for rods with extra padding and locks etc.  Its been with me to a lot of places both international and domestic.  Just needs to go through the 'large luggage' areas of air ports.  You hear bad stories about rods getting dusted up but I haven't had an issue (yet!!).

The rest of the gear gets scattered around the various luggage cases, just make sure you don't put anything into your carry on that could potentially get pinged by security.

Good luck.

Windy

I used PVC tube in a Aldi long ski bag with handles for eaier transportation.

May be worth to check with airlines if that will not qualify for surcharge as oversize item or sporting equipment, and if it is not subject to local quarantine e.g. cork rod handles or used freshwater fishing equipment. 

2 hours ago, chokpa said:

pool noodle wrapped around the rod is a good idea. i was just using pvc pipe before.. nice.

My mates that traveled with me didn't go the extra steps of padding, one ended up having the guides broken upon arrival of destination.

My opinion based on a little bit of travelling with toys. More recently I have some general purpose  travel rods that fit in a suit case for non dedicated fishing holidays (like a trip to Thailand or similar when you might squeeze an hour in here and there) i have also taken rods taped together and wrapped in t-shirts and put in surfboard travel covers next to my surfboard.

A purpose built rod tube is good but often not big enough diameter for heavier or multiple rods and the padding right through isn't necessary with a bigger diameter tube. Make your own pvc pipe to the length and diameter you want (check airline restrictions,  probably a little longer than the longest tie you may want to transport. Fix/glue one end,  screw cap the other. If you want to lock the screw cap screw or up tight and drill through cap/pipe somewhere appropriate for a lock/wire to join the two. You are only stopping a half honest inquisitive person any way. I haven't done it but it would be easy to rivet two small loops or even two drilled and tied cord loops to attach a shoulder strap to (remove step for check in and re attach after baggage claim, less stuff to get caught/go wrong).

Strap your rods head to toe (tip to butt) with the but slightly overlapping. Fix with rod wraps or duct tape. This will splint fragile tip ends and also if they do slide in the tube the end of the butts is the only thing to make contact with the end of the tube (which they won't). Wrap each end (and the middle if you want) in a piece of clothing that you need to take anyway (eg boardies, t-shirt, singlet). Tape this in if you want. The idea is to wrap it thick enough on either end so that it has to squeeze into the tube so it is stuck and there is no rattling. No need for pool noodles, bubble wrap etc. 

I know your original question was domestic but as mentioned above be aware that some international places (including coming home here) have restrictions on fresh water stuff and they may want to see you gear, I have heard rumours that lures/scents like gulps can contain fish type substances and be treated as a quarantine issue but I haven't spoken to anyone that has had a problem. Especially unopened packets. 

Hey Luke, I've got a Plano extendable rod tube. You're welcome to borrow.

Beware some airlines don't take oversize baggage eg Jetstar, they have no bulk hold and everything goes into a baggage container. I think the max length is 2m

Lately for non serious trips I'm using a 3 piece travel rod. I take it as hand luggage.

14 hours ago, Ryder said:

Hey Luke, I've got a Plano extendable rod tube. You're welcome to borrow.

Beware some airlines don't take oversize baggage eg Jetstar, they have no bulk hold and everything goes into a baggage container. I think the max length is 2m

Lately for non serious trips I'm using a 3 piece travel rod. I take it as hand luggage.

I appreciate the offer mate!

It's not for a long while, my partner's agreed we can go for a week in January 2019 for my birthday. Just looking at ideas for rod storage to get sorted before then!

I've been considering getting a 3-4 piece travel rod for a while, this may definitely be a good selling point to bargain further with the boss. 

Cheers,

Wellzy

Another bonus of owning a travel rod is you can hide it in your car for emergencies, like when you finish work an hour early or when you have a job near the water. (I heard)

Keep some bottles of water under the seat so you can give it a quick tub and a towel down before packing it away. You only need to miss one wash to get corrosion on your guides or reel.

(Hot tip - if you use Gulps, make sure you put some thought into your storage solutions so your car upholstery doesn't end up smelling like cat wee.) I keep the packets in two snaplock bags and all my stuff in a dry bag.

The PVC rod tube is the go. All rods should go in a individual cloth bag, if you tie a length of foam around the rod or rods( 30 mm x 30mm 300 long) in 3 or four places along the rod. Slide rods in butt first and there will be no rubbing bumping or breaking. 

Also, don't underestimate the quality of modern travel rods. If you pay for a good one and use it correctly even the biggest fish will be an option. ( I have a 2 piece t curve jig rod that is an absolute cracker)

Wezley

Just be careful which airline you fly with.

I had JET STAR "WANKERS" Refusing to fly my 2.7Mtr rod tube back home after a trip to Qld a few years back.

Flew it up to Qld but after a week fishing and hitting the airport refused to take it as luggage. Manager called ..... (at 7:30 on a Sunday night            help me)  ........ "Please arrange road transport of the tube before you fly home"

Will NEVER EVER fly JET STAR "WANKERS" again.

Virgin Airways take up to 3Mtr tubes. Lovely service.

JD