Help 2 Identify this Caribbean boat please

Sea Ranger

Hi all,

I looked this boat and the Dealer states it is a Caribbean runabout.    I can't find any other boat that look like this and was wondering if there is a specific model other than "runabout" ???   Also at 5.2m  would the 4stk 70 have sufficient get up and go?   Not for racing but to get up on plane with a few blokes on board?

Bear

P1050620.jpg

Edited by Noo2OzFish

not sure of model name..its the smaller brother of the Bahia mar.6.0mtr...pride Bertram and carribean made the same boat..Raymond c hunt designed hull..very seaworthy hull..the 70f/s should push it ok  they have different power output to a 2stroke...I would ask to take it for water trial...rick

It's a nice looking boat. As for the 70" looks like the Yam f70 that I have, suppose it all comes down to what prop is on it and what top speed you are looking to achieve. I've got. 13.5 x13 on my boat because I need the fast take offs during bar crossings, this doesn't give me a very fast top end though ( 55 kmh flat chat on my boat). I also had a f70 on a formula 15, love those engines they are so good on fuel and easy to maintain, I've seen some on tour boats with over 7000hrs without a problem.

Hi Guys,

I can take it on a water trial so that is good.  I guess I'm not overly concerned about top speed but like you Jon see the benefit in getting on plane quick.  Most of the boats I have looked at so far at 5 or more meters seem to have 100+hp motors so I was concerned that this might be a bit under powered. I am looking at a boat solely for fishing/crabbing harbors, bays, and maybe a quick duck inshore outside the heads on a good day.  I've a bit of experience in a Quinny Bayhunter 4.75 with a 50hp Yamaha doing all the above.  My good mate Jim has sadly passed away and I no longer have access to his boat so looking for my own.  This one has been done up a bit and at least from my very novice eye looks like a boat that would suit my needs

Bear

I have a 5.6 carribean with a 90hp 4 stroke.  Everyone tells me I'm underpowered. With 2 people it takes 4100rpm and 19knots to stay on the plane. With 4 people takes 4300 and 20 knots to stay in the plane. With 6 on board it's 4500 and 21 knots. 

seems fine for what I got if I drop the hammer at any rpm and your not holding on you will fall over.   holeshot could probably be better but only takes 2 secs to get up on the plane and over 4K rpm

Im also looking at another prop (see new post lol) since I don't have a spare and the guys at solas props reckon one of their props will solve all my problems. Lol. 

Looks similar to mine (see profile pick) . I have a Caribbean Safari 4.98m. I think the sticker for it is on the port 

side at the rear of the boat. From memory, there was also something else under the front deck. I also

have a bimini that looks like that one. I had a carb 120HPand it would go 77 km/h but it was very heavy.

It now has a 90HP ETEC and it gets me 60km/hr which is plenty fast for me. I would think that you might be a little under powered

with a 70HP, which may not be an issue for you.  What is the model of the outboard? 

58 minutes ago, antonywardle said:

It now has a 90HP ETEC and it gets me 60km/hr which is plenty fast for me. I would think that you might be a little under powered

with a 70HP, which may not be an issue for you.  What is the model of the outboard? 

Mate this one has a new F70 Yamaha 4 stroke

f70.jpg

Its a heavy boat for a smaller engine to push, but as it is brand new, I'm guessing that you'd have quite a few years of trouble free boating. I think, in the back of your mind, you just need to be aware that you might be under powered a bit. I'm no expert and I like my ETEC ;-) I only usually go out with one person and that seems ok. If my wife and boy come out then I'm not allowed to go fast anyway.

My ETEC weighs 145 kg and is a 1.3 litre engine, the F70 is 120 kg and a 996 cc engine so you save a bit on the weight but lose out on the CC's. I found a way to check the weight of my boat and that calculated that my boat weighs 882 kilograms, includes fuel and the engine, or weight of the boat by itself is 723 Kilograms. You will be similar or a bit more.

There is is this link with a similar question to you

Its a big purchase and you can end up second guessing yourself a lot because you don't want to get it wrong. You might well find that you like the boat and the engine is nice and quiet, and you'll have a ball. Anyway, keep us up to date, I hope everything works out for you!

Those Yamahas tend to get pushed out with a standard 15 pitch prop, I had to drop to a solas 13 pitch to get the rpm where I needed it (6000) with the weight I carry. Even with the 13 pitch I can still cruse at over 20 knots (40kmh) and top speed of around 30knts. According to three Yamaha dealers I've dealt with they all claim it's ok to run these engines hard.

by the way that's an awsome looking boat, hope it all turns out good. If it does underperform a simple prop change may be all that's needed.

Edited by JonD

4 hours ago, PaddyT said:

take it for a run- that engine should spin out to around 6000rpm. My guess is that it is underpowered, contact Carabeen and ask them- they are a long established manufacturer in Australia

Ive called the carribean dealer in melbourne (googled it) and they were able to lookup the weight of my old boat for me.  

Thanks for all the replies.  The dealer is happy for me to do a test run if I purchase the boat and have a sea trial as a condition.  Allegedly the engine only has 1 hour on the clock.  I will try calling Caribbean today. I just don't know the model.

20 hours ago, antonywardle said:
2 hours ago, Fishop said:

Ive called the carribean dealer in melbourne (googled it) and they were able to lookup the weight of my old boat for me.  

You are right Caribbean are very friendly and helpful.  But the boat does not have it's plate anymore and the rego just says Caribbean runabout.  The fellow from Caribbean looked at the boat online with me and it didn't look familiar to him.  Sounds like too big a risk to me.  

1 hour ago, Noo2OzFish said:

Thanks for all the replies.  The dealer is happy for me to do a test run if I purchase the boat and have a sea trial as a condition.  Allegedly the engine only has 1 hour on the clock.  I will try calling Caribbean today. I just don't know the model.

Make sure you DONT hand over money AGREE to anything or SIGN anything until your completely satisfied with the boat,the run and the sea trial.

Good luck with whatever you decide to buy mate.

1 minute ago, Noo2OzFish said:

You are right Caribbean are very friendly and helpful.  But the boat does not have it's plate anymore and the rego just says Caribbean runabout.  The fellow from Caribbean looked at the boat online with me and it didn't look familiar to him.  Sounds like too big a risk to me.  

If your guy is telling you something WALK AWAY there's plenty of boats out there waiting for a PATIENT buyer.