Minimum requirements for an offshore boat?

chokpa

I've been thinking about buying a boat recently but have been having trouble understanding what is required to get offshore on a good day. From watching youtube videos online it seems like it can be quite flat offshore, so you could get away with a modest boat.

I'd be looking for a trailer boat that could fit 3 or 4. Would be nice if it could fit 2 wives/gfs without a steep jump in price. I was looking at bowriders for this purpose but it seems like they can be impractical to drive far in them. I'd be looking at second hand and spending less than 15k if possible. What kind of models/years would i be looking at? What would be the resale be like if i kept it for 5 years?

Cheers

Edited by mrsswordfisherman
No links to external boat sellers - pm member please

Guest Guest123456789

I'd look at the nomad. That boat weighs a lot more. The sides are 3mm and the bottom 4mm I think. hull weighs probably 400kgs vs the other boat which looks like 1.6mm sides and 3mm bottom and I'm guessing weighs around 250kgs.

the nomad would be ok light offshore (say 12 miles max) on good days (wind sub 15knots and swell sub 1.5 metres).

But only 2 people, a third on a boat 4.5 metres offshore would be too crowded. I bet 95% of the time it would be it would be just two of you or even you alone anyway. If you want 4 you could just stick to the harbour and fish.

What do you class as offshore? Lots of 5+ metre fibreglass half/cuddly cabs going for 15k or less up here. If the weather turns you can hide behind the cab for protection.  Still having 4 onboard is a bit squishy but do able. Can't really fish 4 people but depends if the wives like fishing or not. 

As long as you get one with a good hull/transom the resale should be pretty good. Expensive to fix though if you get a dud.  

if your not familiar with boats might be worth getting a 3rd party to check over it first.  

All comes down to the conditions and skipper. You can get someone in a 40ft boat end in trouble while someone in a 4m boat has no problem. I was fishing the shelf in my 3.85 Haines sea wasp the day a Bermi game fishing boat sunk as they tried to land a Marlin through the transome door. 

I upgraded to a Formula 15 cc ( basicly a Haines 445) which I regularly took out beyond the shelf and seamounts. Check out a few reports on these.

I now own a 5m rib which I've had 80km offshore in 15-20kts which just lapped up the chop and swell. When you look at the fact the glass part of the rib is only 4m long that's some testament to these little zodiac boats.

Ive been next to a Bertram on the northern end of Montague Island that took two waves over the stern from a mix of NE wind and swell mixed with a strong current, if a third had hit them this would of been another story. I was a 540f Haines signature at the time that simply rose over the waves unlike the heavy Bertram. After the 540f I bought a signature 505 which handled very well offshore unless punching into big seas head on, I've made many runs home in 30kts of southery in that boat ( bilge pump constantly running while wearing a snorkel and mask!!!).

As well as owning a fair few small boats I'm also a bit of a boat slut and get out in as many as possible, all have their good and bad points. I fish the seamounts overnight on a mates Grady white and can't believe how this boat just seems to drop so deep off relatively small swells sending huge amounts of water over the boat, very similar to what happens in another mates northbank. We've been overtaken by small five metre boats simply riding over the swells creating almost no wash. In saying that I would rather the ride home in the comfy of the cabin of the bigger boats if the weather turned ugly.

Some people turn their noses up at bowriders but they can make great fishing boats. Being able to cast at fish from the front at surface schooling fish is something I don't think I could move back from, seeing my kids flick lures from the front as I creep us up on fish is great. There's also the fun factor of being up the front with a clear field of vision to watch or photograph wildlife ( dolphins and whales etc). Have a look at the great little handling 520 signature bowriders

Not to mention you can segregate the women to the front while you fish from the back.

Edited by mrsswordfisherman
No links to external boat sellers please - pm the member

I have a 5.42m bowrider with a 115hp and it has the same hull as the Runabout, it takes 7 in estuary waters but is a bit crowded if people want to move around,

it's very stable and great for fishing 3 guys max, 1 out front and 2 at the back.

if the wife and sister come along they sit at the front and listen to the radio and watch the world go by.

we recently took it to Nelson Bay and Jervis Bay and went Dolphin / Whale watching, the kids loved it as did the mother in law.

i also have a 3 person ski tube and knee board which are very popular and a lot of fun as well as find private beaches for swimming and picnics.

we fish 95% of our time close to the heads and in all the bays and anywhere in the Hawkesbury and Jervis bay.

i would have no problem going offshore on a good day with 1 mate maybe two if they were experienced. I would have the bow cover on hand if the weather got a bit rough to help with wave splash.

only a serious fisho would go off shore in crappy weather as its no fun.

so you should work out what you are realistically going to do with the boat and factor in you will be most on your own or with 1 other, as friends never come when you want and the weather is crap when they want.

thats my 2c worth.

• 1 month later...